Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I know when hindmilk is finished?

Default How do I know when hindmilk is finished?

I'm a first time user.

My girl (3 weeks old) is very fussy during feedings and it seems she has the symptoms of not getting enough hindmilk. I am trying to make sure she eats everything out of one side before moving to the next side. But once she let's go she will not latch on again to that same side, and I think there is still some milk left. I do have an oversupply of milk because she never finishes it all.

It is difficult because she is fussy and almost fights at feeding time. At times our feeding have lasted 2.5 hours because she is so fussy and acts like she is starving! If I try to lay her down or just hold her, she screams and roots. Then when I put her back to my breast, if i can get her to latch on, she only sucks a couple times. I'm very frustrated and exhausted from this ordeal. Is this all related to not getting hindmilk?

Default Re: How do I know when hindmilk is finished?

Welcome and congratulations on the new baby!

What you describe sounds frustrating, and could be related to insufficient hindmilk intake. But there are plenty of other equally good options to explain the behaviors you're seeing, including a growth spurt, reflux, fast letdown, an ear infection... Check out this link http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html for more.

One thing that's really informative when it comes to hindmilk intake is poop color. A baby who is not getting enough hindmilk will produce all or mostly greenish watery poops. A baby who is getting sufficient hindmilk will produce all or mostly yellow stools.

Hang in there, Mama! We'll help you figure this out as best we can!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: How do I know when hindmilk is finished?

Thanks so much! That was a very helpful site. I now have lots of good ideas to try out. If nothing else, it helped to put my mind at ease that I am not the only one going through this.