Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Domperidone Safety Opinions Needed!

Default Domperidone Safety Opinions Needed!

I have been looking into Donperidone to increase my milk supply. I work full time and only pump 5 ounces total after 3 pumping sessions. This is only enough for one of my baby's feedings the next day.The remaining 3 feedings are formula. I would love to decrease the amount of formula that she gets and I have tried Fenugreek and drinking lots of water but to no avail. I nurse her as much as she will take during the evenings and weekends.
    I am considering taking Domperidone (I looked at Reglan but the depression side effect scared me because I had post partum depression). I am nervouse though because there isn't a whole lot of solid information out there and the FDA has a big warning about taking it for increasing milk supply. Have any of you that have used it noticed any side effects in you or your baby? Were/are you nervous to take it especially since there aren't any really good studies done on it's affect on the baby? Do you think that the milk increase benefit outweighs the unknown risks?

Default Re: Domperidone Safety Opinions Needed!

Hi Ladies

Gentle reminder: LLL is not in the business of promoting any prescription drugs. We do have up-to-date researched-based information available to us and we try to give moms the information that they need to work with their physicians to find the best choice for them. LLLL's are not medical professionals. But we do give support and information. I will try to find more information on domperidone for you, and post some links!

HTH.
    Last edited by LLLKate; October 20th, 2006 at 05:11 AM. Reason: mistype

I don't think you upset anyone. We just want to make it very clear that LLL does not "put their name behind" domperidone.

The Breastfeeding Answer Book is intended as a resource for Leaders and Healthcare Professionals to help mothers breastfeed--not as a general resource for breastfeeding mothers. As such, certain galactagogues ("supply builders") are mentioned. This does not mean that LLL is recommending them to nursing mothers. Rather LLL is making the information available so the mother can dialogue with her healthcare professional about whether a galactagogue might be appropriate in her individual situation.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I tried working with my doctor but she said that basically my only remaining option was Reglan, which I don't really want to take because of the possible depression side effects. She didn't recommend taking Domperidone because there isn't enough information about the drug. She agreed that I was doing all the right things to boost my supply naturally, but nothing is working. I would rather not take medication, but at this point I don't know what else to do. I hate to have my baby taking so much formula.