Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Drinks when weaning??? What do you do?

Default Drinks when weaning??? What do you do?

Hello,
    I'm a little unsure whether I should be giving my baby boy (7 and a half months) water. Im in no hurry to wean him, and I'm going at his pace...but apart from letting him handle his cup I don't give him a drink as such. Just offer him frequent feeds. When he is at the breast he is a snacker and always been a fast feeder, poos pleanty and wees for England!

However, a few family members have said I should include more drinks from a cup. What do you do? Do you offer water?
    Although this is my 3rd time bf, I dont have much support and none of my friends bf. I honestly cant remember what I did last time, lol!!
    Thanks ladies xxx
    Mummy to 3 little gentleman
    18/07/01
    01/02/05
    25/04/10
    - All happily breastfed

"A mother's arms are more comforting than anyone else's." -- Diana, Princess of Wales

Default Re: Drinks when weaning??? What do you do?

There's no reason to push the cup. At 7.5 months, your LO's needs for liquid are being met by breastmilk. Using a cup is a nice skill, though, so closer to a year I'd start offering one with some water (or better yet, expressed breastmilk!) at meals.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Smile Re: Drinks when weaning??? What do you do?

I started mine with a cup at 6 months, just for fun. I tried doing breastmilk but it would get wasted so I just put water in it. He never really drank much until about 1 month ago (11 months) so the practice doesnt hurt. He still just takes a small drink...maybe 2 oz throughout the day to wash down solids. So until you know he won't waste it I wouldnt try breastmilk yet. Plus they dont "need" water at 7 months so just for coordination practice.

At 7.5 months, all his nutritional needs are being met by breastmilk, so there's no reason or rush to give any other liquids. At that age, my DS wasn't eating much solids yet, but when he did start eating a bit more (around 10/11 months or so), I always offered a bit of water, but not that much.
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

After my DS started solids, we started having problems with constipation. I do offer water in a sippy (he does very well with a straw sippy) with his solid meals. He is free to drink if and as much as he wishes. He's so cute, he's now 11 months, and at the table he'll have a couple of bites of food (he's self-feeding small bites of solids), then take a drink from his cup, then more food. He's so methodical about it, it cracks me up.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

If you don't want to give a lot of water, but want to let him get some cup time you can put an ice cube in a sippy. My daughter loved doing that. She got just enough water to keep her interested in sipping and it functioned as a rattled too.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous