Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is my baby doing? Latching/ unlatching/ sucking the nipple back in

Default Re: What is my baby doing? Latching/ unlatching/ sucking the nipple back in

My son does this too. I'll usually try massaging my breast while he's latched first (in case he wants the milk faster), then burping, and calming him down before trying again. If he just won't stay latched, I'll try swaddling him up and getting him to go to sleep. Sometimes he's just tired and doesn't know what he wants!

As for letdown, I didn't feel it for a few weeks and I've heard some women never feel it. You might be able to tell when it's happening if your baby starts swallowing more often. My mom described her letdown as a tingling feeling whereas mine feels a little more like my nipple is getting pinched or a slight burning sensation that quickly goes away.
    Last edited by @llli*amerasu; December 11th, 2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Forgot a sentence

Default Re: What is my baby doing? Latching/ unlatching/ sucking the nipple back in

I can't actually feel my letdown - but I notice the change in his swallowing pattern both when the letdown starts and when the flow slows again.

I can physically see the letdown when I pump - I go from dribbling a little bit of milk to squirting it in all directions, and the container fills up much more quickly.

My daughter is gona be 3 weeks and she started doing the exact same thing at 1 week. Its to the point sometimes that I still want to cry along with her. I was thinking it was the letdown too, but sometimes the letdown is way to much and she either spits it out or she chokes on it. I was told that if you have to much foremilk, to pump or express some out before you BF so the baby doesnt fill up on the foremilk and has no room for the good fatty hindmilk. Even doing that, my little angel still fusses.

As for the 'letdown feeling', my breast tend to get hot when im having a letdown. I noticed it when I started to pump. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amerasu View Post
    My son does this too. I'll usually try massaging my breast while he's latched first (in case he wants the milk faster), then burping, and calming him down before trying again. If he just won't stay latched, I'll try swaddling him up and getting him to go to sleep. Sometimes he's just tired and doesn't know what he wants!

As for letdown, I didn't feel it for a few weeks and I've heard some women never feel it. You might be able to tell when it's happening if your baby starts swallowing more often. My mom described her letdown as a tingling feeling whereas mine feels a little more like my nipple is getting pinched or a slight burning sensation that quickly goes away.
    My son went through this stage too, and I would end up getting frustrated so I would swaddle and put him to bed, if he was still hungry he would start to cry and I would get him and try again. Usually he would nurse fine after this. And sometimes he would just go to sleep because I think he was just tired and like you said, didn't know what he wanted. Good news is, he has completely grown out of that, and I've learned to recognize when he is just tired and really not hungry at all. I know it's very frustrating, but just be patient. If baby is having plenty of wet and dirty diapers, and gaining well then you know they are not going hungry.

As for the letdown feeling? I never felt it, and never became engorged! I was so stressed that I wasn't making enough milk I drove my self crazy

I just created an account to ask about this very same thing. My son is 6 1/2 weeks old, and he's a very headstrong little boy lol. He does all these things while eating, and it's not only in the evening, but it IS worse in the evenings. He also will not latch without pain anyway, so I hurt all the time even when I'm not nursing. My nipples are just sore constantly. I've tried everything to get him to change his latch but he won't, he'll just unlatch and then relatch himself however he feels like. I've tried all the ways I've read about/seen, and the ways the nurse/lactation consultant showed me in the hospital, but it doesn't matter. I thought his issue with the fussing, squirming, and pulling was just that he didn't like the latch anymore and wanted to change. I also can still express after he starts doing it, so I've been very confused too.

My letdown still hurts everytime. It's like pins and needles and the pain doesn't seem to be lessening as I was led to believe that it would :/ lol

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*suzi08 View Post
    I just created an account to ask about this very same thing. My son is 6 1/2 weeks old, and he's a very headstrong little boy lol. He does all these things while eating, and it's not only in the evening, but it IS worse in the evenings. He also will not latch without pain anyway, so I hurt all the time even when I'm not nursing. My nipples are just sore constantly. I've tried everything to get him to change his latch but he won't, he'll just unlatch and then relatch himself however he feels like. I've tried all the ways I've read about/seen, and the ways the nurse/lactation consultant showed me in the hospital, but it doesn't matter. I thought his issue with the fussing, squirming, and pulling was just that he didn't like the latch anymore and wanted to change. I also can still express after he starts doing it, so I've been very confused too.

My letdown still hurts everytime. It's like pins and needles and the pain doesn't seem to be lessening as I was led to believe that it would :/ lol
    Has your son been checked for tongue tie?
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

Default Re: What is my baby doing? Latching/ unlatching/ sucking th

A letdown is when your breast drip milk on their own. Once your milk "comes in" sometimes you will leak milk from both breast uncontrollably. There's ways to help ur miilk letdown like smell of baby or massaging shoulders, drinking water or thinking of baby. I have a two month old and she has been unlatching on and off for the past two days sometimes iin the afternoon or night or both its frustuating but maybe its just a phase

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*suzi08 View Post

Sounds like it could be a yeast infection.
    Can't stop smiling because my lil Miguel is just so amazing! Since 1/29/12 my heart is no longer my own!

My 8wo started doing the same thing at about 6weeks. He also 'head butts' my boob.. all in an attempt to get more milk. I find breast compressions help a bit, but other than that, no suggestions :-(