Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is my baby doing? Latching/ unlatching/ sucking the nipple back in

Default What is my baby doing? Latching/ unlatching/ sucking the nipple back in

I'm a first time mom and my son will be three weeks old tomorrow. Breastfeeding has been going pretty well, baby is gaining solidly and is starting to get that cute chubby look! Lately we've been having some fussiness in the evenings, as well as clusterfeeding behavior. I'm aware this is normal, and I try to feed him on demand and then some.

Sometimes after nursing for a little while in the evenings, he moves his head to the side or the back and unlatches himself, and then opens wide to re-latch or tries to "slurp" my nipple back in his mouth. Or he seems to pull back, like he's stretching my nipple. He only seems to do this in the evenings, so I'm wondering if it has to do with the fussiness babies seem to experience, or if he's playing/bored/etc? At first I wondered if maybe my breast had emptied and he was frustrated, but then I realized I could still express some milk, so I don't think that is the issue.

After he does this a few times, my nipples start to feel sore. I try to encourage proper latching, but he detaches himself and then tries to slurp his way back onto the nipple. I know he's too young to reason with, but sometimes I try giving him a break and saying gently, "That hurts mommy," (the break just makes him cry, though), or I take a minute to burp him, or switch to the opposite breast. Sometimes he seems to get really agitated and thrashes his head around, grunts and cries. Sometimes I have my husband take him and try some calming techniques while I take a break after this happens, but I feel guilty--what if the baby is hungry and I'm postponing his meal?

I'm just looking for a little insight on why this is occurring and what I can possibly do to keep him from getting so frustrated and to keep my nipples from becoming like a popsicle to him. It doesn't happen when I nurse him overnight or earlier in the day, just the evenings. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: What is my baby doing? Latching/ unlatching/ sucking the nipple back in

when bfing is going well, and the baby is gaining and nursing is satisfying for both mother and infant there are times when a baby needs to suck but doesn't want a mouth full of milk. some babies suck thier thumbs and some use a pacifier. pacifiers and to a lesser extent thumb sucking is discouraged during the early weeks until nursing has been fully established. But at three weeks of age an occasional use of the pacifier is not problamatic
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Default Re: What is my baby doing? Latching/ unlatching/ sucking the nipple back in

Pacifiers are great unless your baby wont use one...lol!! My daughter started doing the same things at 3 weeks and she still does it but she refuses to take any type of pacifier...they often make her gag.

Wink Re: What is my baby doing? Latching/ unlatching/ sucking the nipple back in

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monfase View Post
    I'm a first time mom and my son will be three weeks old tomorrow. Breastfeeding has been going pretty well, baby is gaining solidly and is starting to get that cute chubby look! Lately we've been having some fussiness in the evenings, as well as clusterfeeding behavior. I'm aware this is normal, and I try to feed him on demand and then some.

Sometimes after nursing for a little while in the evenings, he moves his head to the side or the back and unlatches himself, and then opens wide to re-latch or tries to "slurp" my nipple back in his mouth. Or he seems to pull back, like he's stretching my nipple. He only seems to do this in the evenings, so I'm wondering if it has to do with the fussiness babies seem to experience, or if he's playing/bored/etc? At first I wondered if maybe my breast had emptied and he was frustrated, but then I realized I could still express some milk, so I don't think that is the issue.

After he does this a few times, my nipples start to feel sore. I try to encourage proper latching, but he detaches himself and then tries to slurp his way back onto the nipple. I know he's too young to reason with, but sometimes I try giving him a break and saying gently, "That hurts mommy," (the break just makes him cry, though), or I take a minute to burp him, or switch to the opposite breast. Sometimes he seems to get really agitated and thrashes his head around, grunts and cries. Sometimes I have my husband take him and try some calming techniques while I take a break after this happens, but I feel guilty--what if the baby is hungry and I'm postponing his meal?

I'm just looking for a little insight on why this is occurring and what I can possibly do to keep him from getting so frustrated and to keep my nipples from becoming like a popsicle to him. It doesn't happen when I nurse him overnight or earlier in the day, just the evenings. Thanks in advance!
    My baby (now 3 mo) starting doing this about the same age as yours. I figured out she was trying to trigger a letdown. It's like she was saying "Come on! Bring it!"
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

my baby is 7 weeks old and also does this sometimes, mostly in the evenings. i attribute it to normal evening fussy behavior but i would love if someone gives you more advice.

Smile Re: What is my baby doing? Latching/ unlatching/ sucking the nipple back in

My daughter is about to be 4 weeks tomorrow and started doing this same thing at 3 weeks I also thought is was because she emptyed my breast and wanted more and was giving her a bottle the after a hour or so of this behavior but I could also still express milk I came to figure she perferrs the faster flow that it starts off at she is a lazy sucker I guess the right turm maybe? But the last 2 night she seems to be doinging a little better! Good luck mama!

Mine is 9 weeks. She started doing the same thing around week 6. Whenever she does it I give her the pacifier. She didnt always take it, it also made her gag! Now she takes it more often, not every time though, she prefers to suck on her hand.

My son is 5 weeks and has been doing this same thing for a couple of weeks. It usually happens after he's had a solid 4-5 minutes of nursing (I have an oversupply, so he's usually gulping the whole time)...and he'll shake his head back and forth, pull his head back, lick my nipple then try to latch on..sometimes he even pounds his little hands on my breasts.

I originally thought it was because he wanted to suck but not have any milk, so I tried a pacifier, and he actually does the same thing with the pacifier...when I put it in his mouth his pulls his head back several times, as if pumping it or something.

I also tried switching breasts, which only works the 1st time I do it in a session.

Now, after a few pumping sessions, I think that what actually is happening is that he is used to fast flow and when the 1st letdown is over and the flow slows down - I think he gets upset and is trying to trigger another letdown. When I pump, I notice that sometimes it's 3-4 minutes in between my letdowns..and even though each one is forceful and brings a lot of milk - there is a lot of downtime in between..3-4 minutes to a hungry newborn is a long time.

I don't have a solution yet - I try to switch breasts, but it doesn't make the letdown any quicker when I go back to the original breast. I'm tempted to let him work it out - do what he needs to do to help trigger a let down, but it's painful and causes my nipples to break down.

Let me know if you find anything that works! I'm hoping that after this next growth spurt things settle in and we get in sync with each other.

Thank you everyone for your replies! It is really helpful to read what others have been through.

Jennygal, what you described is EXACTLY what my little guy does, and the same time frame. I think you are right that even though the let-down is forceful, it's what they're used to, and they're trying to get another one to come quickly so they can keep eating. Please keep me updated and let me know if things even out for you in this next bit of time!
    First-time mom to a sweet baby boy, born 11/16/2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jennygal View Post
    Now, after a few pumping sessions, I think that what actually is happening is that he is used to fast flow and when the 1st letdown is over and the flow slows down - I think he gets upset and is trying to trigger another letdown. When I pump, I notice that sometimes it's 3-4 minutes in between my letdowns..and even though each one is forceful and brings a lot of milk - there is a lot of downtime in between..3-4 minutes to a hungry newborn is a long time.
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I keep seeing people post about how they notice a time between letdowns....what I want to know is: How do I know when I'm having a letdown? I've never felt one. When I feed, I experience no physical change that would identify a letdown for me. Can anyone describe the feeling in more detail?