Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids for the Reflux Baby

Unhappy Solids for the Reflux Baby

My LO is about to turn 5 months old. I was really hoping to make it 6 months (at least) of exclusive breast feeding. She was a little more than 5 weeks premature and has had sever reflux since she was born. It used to be OK and she would sleep pretty well at night, but for the past month or so the gas has gotten so bad that we are up every hour with gas and crying. No medicine is working. The doctor is now saying that I need to start solid foods in order to keep the acid down. I'm frustrated. I don't know that either of us are ready for that yet, she isn't taking any interest in our food yet or anything. Does anyone have any other suggestions of how to work through this? Has anyone else had this problem? I'm afraid that if we start solids too early then she is going to wean earlier than I would like. I don't know what to do and I thought I would reach out for some help. Please let me know if you have any advice!

Default Re: Solids for the Reflux Baby

What medicine are you using and have tried? What dose and what is your baby's weight?

Can you better explain the reflux? Are you having projectile vomiting?

Sorry so many questions!

So the thing with using rice cereal with reflux is this. You aren't going to have less discomfort using it. That is where you need to work with your doctor on the correct meds and dose. Now the meds will relieve the crying and discomfort but not the actual vomit. That is where you *could* try the rice cereal.

Rice cereal weighs down your BM so it won't necessarily come back up. If you wanted to try it I would suggest feeding a few teaspoons off a spoon and then nursing after. But, again, it won't relieve the crying or discomfort. It would only help the projectile vomit if that is the problem.

Also, 5.5 months is prime for teething do you think some of the nighttime crying is from teething as well? You could be dealing with multiple issues.

Hang in there momma, don't let your pedi force you into solids before you're ready. Both of my kids have reflux and my second one really badly. I will say that solids didn't help their reflux but working on their meds was the best way to gain control back over the extreme fussiness. I just deal with the extreme vomit with my second one, and it has only recently gotten better and he's 1.

KUP!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

And....
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

I agree with Lisa.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Thank you so much Lisa! My LO is about 15.5 lbs. They have tried Axid (1.5 mL twice a day) which did nothing but give her diarrhea. Now she is on Prevacid; half a tablet once a day. I thought that teething might be something, but her gums aren't showing any signs of teeth coming in and she isn't drooling more than usual... it seems like all she wants to do is comfort nurse and chew everything though so maybe that's something.

As far as projectile vomiting, she vomits over my shoulder at least once a day, so I guess so. We tried some rice cereal last night, but she really is not ready for the spoon yet, and she was NOT happy and the spits up got worse because she started over eating because of fear that the boob was gone!

I'm sure that in a couple more days I will get used to waking up this frequently again, but I feel like the doctor is scaring me into this by saying if solids don't work then she needs to have her belly scoped.

Thank you for all of your help. I really appreciate it!

If your DD only vomits once a day that's great! Really. Mine was puking at least 10+ times every day.

I would not worry about the rice cereal then, it really won't help the fussiness. But when she IS ready for solids you might notice that vomiting every day will stop.

We are also on Prevacid but my baby is around 28 lbs so his dose is a lot bigger. We have had pretty good luck with Prevacid. It never stopped the vomit but he didn't seem to mind it as much.

What is your diet like? Have you noticed when you eat certain foods that her reflux is triggered? Does she also have eczema or bloody/mucous-y stools? You could also be looking at food allergy. Sometimes dairy in your diet will trigger the reflux. Sometimes not though too. The only way to know would be to try and eliminate it from your diet for several weeks and see if there are any changes.

I still think the sucking, chewing, fussiness is part teething. Even if you don't see any teeth it takes them forever to work out the first few and it can be quite painful for them too. You could try giving a dose of tylenol or motrin at night see if that helps at all as well.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

She spits up a lot during the day, but usually only the one big vomit.

There is no blood/mucus in her stools, and no eczema, but we do have food allergies in the family. I've talked to the doctor and they don't think it's that. I have noticed two foods that make is worse: rhubarb and onions. So I have cut both of them out. We stopped milk for a couple of weeks back in the beginning and I didn't notice any changes. I could try again I suppose... at this point I'm willing to do anything.

The dose of tylenol at night sounds like a good plan. I'll try that tonight and see how it goes. I hate seeing her feel so crabby and sick and not be able to do anything about it. We'll just keep working on the Prevacid and see if it is just taking a while to work. I would welcome teething at this point; she's been crying for two days straight it seems and I would love an explanation for it. Thanks for your help!

Red face Re: Solids for the Reflux Baby

I just thought that I would post an update from last night. We tried the tylenol and woke up less frequently, so it does seem that we have two things going on. Rather than waking up every hour to comfort suck or have gas, she only woke up when she had gas... since the tylenol worked I'm going to assume that she has some teething starting. Now hopefully we can get her on some better medicine for her reflux.

lmno,

my LO has silent reflux, and we first tried Zantac, which helped for a couple of days, then it just got worse. Then we put him on Prevacid, 1/2 tablet 2 times a day, we do one in the morning, and then one at night. This made a HUGE difference!!! My LO is about 15+ lbs. I would def. speak to your ped about the dosage... do you give the Prevacid in the morning or at night?