Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HOW LONG WILL WEANING TAKE

Default HOW LONG WILL WEANING TAKE

Hello, my son will be one on 12/18 and I am so proud of myself for nursing him to one year and working full time! I almost gave up but stuck it out and now here we are one year later...ok enough of that
    So he does not seem that interested for the past month or so- mostly during the mid day- he plays,he bites, he wants to get down and play so I am assuming he is just less and less interested since I made it to one year I am ok with weaning him. I am going to try first with taking out my mid day ( lunch) nurse- if i just stop that ( but continue with am and pm and night time ) am I going to be at risk for engorgement and mastitis? then after I get done with the mid day i will work on other times- any input and advice is helpful ! and thanks again- you ladies helped me make it this far SOOO APPRECIATIVE OF THAT

Default Re: HOW LONG WILL WEANING TAKE

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*skipper537 View Post
    Hello, my son will be one on 12/18 and I am so proud of myself for nursing him to one year and working full time! I almost gave up but stuck it out and now here we are one year later...ok enough of that
    So he does not seem that interested for the past month or so- mostly during the mid day- he plays,he bites, he wants to get down and play so I am assuming he is just less and less interested since I made it to one year I am ok with weaning him. I am going to try first with taking out my mid day ( lunch) nurse- if i just stop that ( but continue with am and pm and night time ) am I going to be at risk for engorgement and mastitis? then after I get done with the mid day i will work on other times- any input and advice is helpful ! and thanks again- you ladies helped me make it this far SOOO APPRECIATIVE OF THAT
    you said you're working full time? are you pumping at work? i think the amount of discomfort you'll have is related to how much you're cutting back at a time.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Congratulations on making it to a year!!

Gradual is the key, so removing one feeding should work for you. I might pump a bit if I felt engorged, but just enough to relieve the discomfort, not enough to tell my body we still need to make more milk. See how that goes then perhaps eliminate another feeding. Also, don't be afraid to add a specific feeding back in some days and not others. That might help it be more gradual and not make him feel like he's being cut off.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Congratulations on making it to a year! Great work, Mama!!!

If you cut out one session, and then leave it at that for several days, your risk of engorgement and/or plugged ducts and/or mastitis should be pretty minimal.

If you cut out the lunch session and then experience significant engorgement or discomfort, you can either a) decide to nurse/pump and put your weaning goals off for the time being or b) use cabbage leaves, cold packs, and hand expression to restore comfort. Expressing just enough milk to keep yourself comfortable will allow supply to decrease, albeit at a slower pace than if you simply put up with the engorgement.

Are you feeling ready to be completely done with nursing? Obviously you're ready to drop the lunchtime session- but how about the others? I nursed my first until she was three and I have to say there are significant health, emotional, and parenting benefits to going longer. Extended nursing isn't right for all mamas and babies, but if you're interested I'd be happy to talk it up!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks everyone! I have survived pumping while at work full time as an er nurse so i feel pretty accomplished.As much as I enjoy and have LOVED bf I think I am ready to have my body back to just me . Not trying to be selfish but it has come to be a time of stress for me since he plays, bites and I think is getting used to the cup and my milk does not come as easily- Im ok with weaning. Plus it is not easy at my job but I have hung in there. Im going to start with getting rid of the mid day and see where it goes. Im just worried he wont take enough milk other wise but we will see .how much milk ( bm or cows milk does a one year old need daily?)

My doc says 18-24 oz of milk per day at one.
    SAHM to my sweet December baby boy.