Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: newborn eating, pumping, and hindmilk...

Unhappy newborn eating, pumping, and hindmilk...

newborn eating...
    My son is 2 weeks and 5 days old, for the past 3 or 4 nights he has been eating non stop (almost literally) from 7-2 am.. By 2am I give him formula just so I can sleep!! I hate doing it but I feel like hes not getting enough from me.. Is it normal for him to eat that much? and is there anything I can do to get him to eat nonstop during the day instead of when i'm trying to sleep.. I am usually in tears by 12am, and I just don't love breastfeeding, I don't even know that I like it!

Pumping..
    I try pumping during the day so I can give him a bottle of breastmilk instead of formula, but I can literally only pump for like 3 minutes and then the flow just STOPS!! I only get between a half an once to an once.. I've tried hot compresses, feeding my son on one breast and pumping the other, thinking happy thoughts.. nothing is working.. could it be that im so stressed out it just won't come one? If thats the case is my son getting enough to eat?!? And if I'm only able to pump for 3 minutes is there any hindmilk being pumped out??

He was weighed at one week old and he gained all his birth weight back plus and once.. That was before this non stop feeding frenzy began. He has PLENTY of wet diapers more then I can even count.. He poops between 3-4 times a day and usually has a lot of wet farts in between poops..

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: newborn eating, pumping, and hindmilk...

Welcome! What you describe sounds so frustrating and exhausting. Normal, though.

Since diaper output and weight gain are good, you can rest assured that your milk supply is fine. (Just to check- poops are a mustard yellow color, right?) So I'm guessing that you're dealing with one of issues.

The first possibility is a growth spurt. There's a big one at around 3 weeks, and nonstop feeding is the hallmark of a spurt.

The second possibility is cluster feeding, which is normal in the afternoon/evening. It's a little unusual for it to go on into the wee hours of the morning, but having a quirky baby is par for the course. All newborns have quirks... It's just a matter of figuring out how to cope with them!

The best things you can do to cope with both these issues are:
    1. Nurse on demand. (Don't try to stretch feedings out.)
    2. Try to offer more frequently during the day (some babies are born with days and nights mixed up).
    3. Sleep when the baby sleeps. I know it's hard to have basically no life apart from the baby, but it's the only way to get through the crazy newborn stage.
    4. If you're not sleeping with your baby, try it out. Many moms find they can sleep, or at least doze, while nursing in the side-lying position.
    5. Don't supplement if you can stand not to. Every time you supplement, your body misses the cue your baby was trying to give, which is "Make more milk!"
    6. Be patient- the one thing constant about newborns is that they change all the time. Your baby will grow out of this, I promise!

Now, on to pumping.

I try pumping during the day so I can give him a bottle of breastmilk instead of formula, but I can literally only pump for like 3 minutes and then the flow just STOPS!! I only get between a half an once to an once..
    It's normal to see the flow stop after just a few minutes. The pump isn't as good at removing milk as the baby is, and often it only removes the most easily accessible milk. Once you've skimmed off that easy-to-get-at fraction, the flow stops. Here are a few things that may help:
    1. Use a better pump. Many moms expect great things from cheap pumps, but in a general better pump = better milk removal.
    2. Combine pumping with massage/hand expression.
    3. Have realistic expectations: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    4. Use properly sized breast shields.
    5. Don't stop pumping when the flow stops. Many moms can get a second letdown of milk if they continue to pump a "dry" breast.
    6. Don't judge your baby's intake by what you can pump: again, babies remove milk more effectively than pumps.
    7. Don't worry about hindmilk as long as your baby's poops are mostly yellow.

Finally, don't feel bad about not loving breastfeeding. It's okay to not love it. It's okay to hate it, especially when you're nursing a newborn. It is exhausting and constant work, and it's not work where you can pass the burden off to someone else. Breastfeeding my first baby was literally the hardest thing I've ever done, and that includes natural childbirth. But it gets better. It really does. You get through the worst part- the early days/weeks- and suddenly you realize that things are bearable. And then they actually become enjoyable. If you can hang in there, I think you will be glad you did.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thank you for all the info! he sleeps like an angel during the day eating every hour to every 2 hours.. I try to keep him awake and feed him when he cries or routs for the breast.. i always feed when hes hungry i never try to space it out.. i do think his days and nights are mixed up because he sleeps so much during the day and not at night.. I actually just woke him up and fed him and he spit up (for the first time) then after he spit up and he sneezed and milk flew every where, it was quit funny!

The pump I have is a double electric pump and by no means was it cheap! as Far as the shields (dunno if thats the right word) how do I know if they are big enough or not?

I do feel like giving up sometimes but I know its the best thing for the both of us so i'm trying to stick it out..

The pump I have is a double electric pump and by no means was it cheap!
    I didn't mean cheap like you got it out of the bargain bin... Just that there can be a big difference in effectiveness between a manual pump, a single electric, a lower-end double electric, and a high-end double electric.

as Far as the shields (dunno if thats the right word) how do I know if they are big enough or not?
    If your nipples rub painfully against the side of the collection tubes, the shields may be too small.

If they shoot in and out, accompanied by a loss of suction, they may be too big.

I do feel like giving up sometimes but I know its the best thing for the both of us so i'm trying to stick it out..
    You can do it, Mama! This is definitely the hardest part, and if you can make it through this you will get to the good stuff.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think almost all moms feel this way in the beginning. My LO is 6 weeks and I'm just starting to enjoy it (most of the time - there are still some hard days here and there). It really does get easier and you will be so happy if you keep going! You can totally do it! All of the advice from mommal was perfect! Try and visit the forums occaisionally and you'll get so much support and information - it has really helped me!
    I'm a proud first time mommy , born 10/19/2010 and a wife to an amazing husband

Birth 10/19/2010: 7lbs 3oz
    3 days old 10/22: 6lbs 6oz
    2 1/2 weeks old 11/05: 6lbs 14oz
    4 weeks old 11/17: 7lbs 15oz
    8 weeks old 12/15: 10lbs
    4 months old 2/28: 14lbs

you can do this! SOunds like your baby is on target, doing all that he should! The days and nights mixed up is normal as well, he will adjust! Keep nursing!!!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

i definitely recommend nursing in the side lying position so you can sleep. it made all the difference for me!

thank you so much ladies!! last night was much easier! he was only awake from 4-12 instead of 4-3!! yaya for SOME sleep I've tried the side laying position but I have rather large boobs and I feel like i'm smothering him when i'm in that position, he pulls away often and I can see that he doesn't have any room between his nose and my breast..