Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I can't give up yet...

Default I can't give up yet...

Hello,

I am a first time mommy and my son is almost 3 and a half months old. I am a strong advocate of breastfeeding and was very excited when my newborn latched on the first time and was strictly breastfed for the first 10 weeks of his life. We never had any problems, no dry or cracked nipples, no pain, no problems latching on or producing milk.

Unfortunately, at about 10 weeks he started this thing where he would latch on, the pull off screaming, then latch on and pull off, start screaming. It was so weird! Everything was so perfect. After about a two weeks of fighting him, I just knew he wasn't eating enough, he was always hungry and never satisfied with the breast. I would nurse him whenever I thought he was hungry, but I swear that the milk just wasn't coming. I stopped feeling it drop, when I tried manually expressing it, drops would come, but no steady stream. I finally found a used Medela Pump in Style Dual electrical pump and tried pumping. The most I ever got was 2 ounces combined. Now, it's more like 1/8 an ounce combined, not even enough to cover the bottom of the bottle. I started drinking Mother's Milk Tea and taking Fenugreek and haven't seen any changes.

I just cannot give up, my husband thinks that I am just kicking a dead horse and that I am drying up and need to just go strictly bottle, but there is something in me that just can't give up. I just need some professional advice before I can 100% stop nursing. By the way, when he nurses now, he only does about 15-20 seconds before he gets upset and wants the bottle. Am I dried up? Is it too late to get my milk supply back up and what is the strongest thing you can take to up your supply? I heard about prescriptions, but I don't have insurance and didn't even go to my Post Pardum check up. Thanks for your time, I need help. This hurts me so bad... L

Default Re: I can't give up yet...

bumping

Can you explain a little more about why you feel baby isn't getting enough? Pumping output is never an indication of supply so is it just that baby acts hungry? What is the diaper output? Are you getting 5-6 wet diapers in a 24 hour period? This link has a ton of info. I wouldn't give up because you likely are just regulating supply, along with a growth spurt.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html

There is a great link with in there by jack Newman called growth spurt or low production check all the links out
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Welcome! It's definitely not too late to reach some or all of your breastfeeding goals.

The pulling off/screaming thing you describe- that's not too uncommon, and it's something that can have a lot of causes, including:
    - baby prefers a faster flow of milk but the flow has slowed
    - baby prefers a slower flow of milk but the flow is too fast
    - teething (yes, it can start really early!)
    - ear infection
    - acid reflux
    - baby prefers the bottle

After about a two weeks of fighting him, I just knew he wasn't eating enough, he was always hungry and never satisfied with the breast.
    How were his diapers during this period? As long as output was normal, he was getting enough, even if you didn't feel your milk letting down. It is very normal to stop experiencing the letdown sensation after you have been nursing for a while and your milk supply has adjusted to meet demand very exactly, without a lot of extra milk being made. It's also normal to see only drops when manually expressing. Few moms can reliably express a stream of milk using their hand alone, even if they had no trouble doing this in the beginning when they were making extra milk.

I finally found a used Medela Pump in Style Dual electrical pump and tried pumping. The most I ever got was 2 ounces combined. Now, it's more like 1/8 an ounce combined, not even enough to cover the bottom of the bottle.
    2 oz is totally normal output. In general, the baby is much better at removing milk from the breast than even a good pump like the PIS. Here's a link on increasing supply while pumping: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html Basically, the key to increasing supply is to remove as much milk as possible as often as possible. And don't let the fear of being "dried up" stop you! It is possible to regain a full supply even if you start from literally nothing. You just have to have the right equipment and do the hard work.

I started drinking Mother's Milk Tea and taking Fenugreek and haven't seen any changes.
    Not all moms see great results with herbs and/or teas.

I just cannot give up, my husband thinks that I am just kicking a dead horse and that I am drying up and need to just go strictly bottle, but there is something in me that just can't give up. I just need some professional advice before I can 100% stop nursing.
    Keep in mind that with the exception of the LLL leaders, we're not professionals! Just moms. I mean, we're totally awesome (), but we don't have degrees. Can you go see a professional for some hands-on help? I suggest looking for someone with an IBCLC credential. It may be expensive, but it is going to be much cheaper than a year's supply of formula! Also, some IBCLCs will help you for a reduced fee, or space out your payments to make it affordable.

when he nurses now, he only does about 15-20 seconds before he gets upset and wants the bottle.
    This link covers nursing strikes and how to end them: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

what is the strongest thing you can take to up your supply? I heard about prescriptions, but I don't have insurance
    The strongest thing you can take to increase supply is a nursing baby, which is clearly an issue for you right now. The second best thing is to pump as much as possible as often as possible. I would start by pumping both sides for 10 minutes/side every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night, and pumping more frequently if possible. The third strongest thing you can take is probably Reglan (available in the US) or Domperidone (available in Canada and the EU). However, you really need to talk to a midwife or doctor before taking either of these drugs, since they can have significant side effects and are not recommended for all moms. On the plus side, these tend to be relatively inexpensive drugs and may be affordable even without prescription drug coverage.

First of all, to you mama and for still sticking with it.

I'm just going to share my own experience because yours sounds somewhat like it. I hope you can get something out of it.

BF was going *fairly* well for us the first 6 weeks. The only "problem" was that she was ALWAYS nursing and a lot of times would fall asleep soon into a feeding, but even that didn't seem exactly a problem at that age. At close to 6 weeks she started fussing at the breast, latching on, moving her head around, pulling, unlatching, etc. Her pedi said reflux and put her on Prevacid. Then feedings became weird: my let-downs became REALLY short whereas they had kept her gulping and swallowing for minutes before. She seemed to do more comfort sucking than get milk at the breast. (I was feeding strictly on demand, offered frequently, let her sleep with and on me, etc.) Then one day at 8 weeks it was found she had lost some weight and then there was this whole 24 hours when she COMPLETELY refused my breast.
    So we met with an LC and it was found she had suckling problem, even though her latch looked perfectly fine from the outside (which is why the LCs I had seen at the hospital had always assured me she knew how to nurse well). She was a little tongue-tied and the IBCLC was saying something else about her having a high palate and such which I don't remember now. Also she said the pain when nursing caused by reflux had also caused my baby to fear nursing. Because of all those, my supply, while ample before (which is why she was still getting plenty of milk despite not suckling correctly), had significantly decreased (the LC weighed my baby after feedings and no, she wasn't getting much milk, but because of her personality, instead of fussing, she would just go to sleep at the breast ), which is why she started refusing nursing even though still coming to my breast for comfort.

Anyway, we started working with the IBCLC. She had me nurse, nurse, nurse as often as baby would accept. I was to pump for 8-10 mins after each feeding and put that pumped milk in an SNS to supplement her AFTER nursing her. The SNS gave my breast more stimulation to make more milk, and also we were able to supplement her without using the bottle so as to avoid possible nipple preference and aggravating the suckling problem. I also took (IIRC) 2-3 fenugreek capsules 3x/day. I was not to go more that 3 hours during the day and 5 hours during the night without nursing her.

Doing all that (and I even tried to pump BETWEEN feedings and eating oatmeal every day) I was able to boost my supply back to full around 6 weeks later.

Back to YOUR situation (I hope you didn't mind my long story) I think seeing an experienced LC (preferably an IBCLC - LCs can be soooooo different in their expertise) is probably a good idea. And then you can go from there.

Baby is needing me now I have to go but... last thing I'd like to say... hang in there, I def. don't think you have to give up just yet, there are lots of things you can do to keep on.