Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: why only at night?????

Unhappy why only at night?????

I have a 3 week 3day old baby I breast feed only for the 1st 2 weeks the her doctor told me I had to supplement because she was not gaining weight she was born at 9.8 the day after she was down to 8.10 and at her 2 week check she was only 8.11 so I started pumping to try to get my supply up and feed her my milk from a bottle if after a feeding she still seemed hungrey. Well by 2 weeks 5 days I took her in to weigh her and she was up to 9.5 so I started only breast feeding again took her to the doctor for her offical recheck at 3 weeks 1 day and she was 9.15 so from breast feeding only she gained 10oz in 4 days that was waken her every 2 - 3 hours to eat so I felt I can go back to watchen for her to let me know she hungrey mean while since I started breast feeding only again I am so parinod that my milk supply will go down again because I'm not pumping well as off 3 night ago my baby girl has fedd all day fine and then arounf 6 or 7 pm she will eat a whole feeding about 20 - 30 min each side then want to be on the breats every hour after but she act like she is not getting any thing from me and getts fussy finaly around 10 I end up giving her a bottle so she can go to sleep then when she wakes after about 4 hours my its normal agin why dose it seem like my breast are empty to her for those hours but I can hand express and see there is something there!!! Sorry so long

Default Re: why only at night?????

Hi mama and congratulations on your baby!

Your breasts aren't empty She's having a growth spurt right on schedule at 3 weeks. In a couple days when she makes your milk supply even higher she will nurse less often.

How many wet and woiled nappies does she make in a day?
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Welcome, Mama, and congratulations on the new baby!

As long as wet and poopy diaper output remains normal (here's a reference: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html), you can relax, even if the baby is feeding very frequently. As the PP suggested, a growth spurt is a very likely cause of the frequent nursing. Also, it's totally normal for babies to nurse more frequently once they begin to wake up from the sleepy new newborn phase.

The fussiness and frequent feeding in the evenings is totally normal. It's so common there are even names for it, including "The Witching Hour(s)" and "Evenings-Only Colic." It's not about low supply- it's about a baby who is tired and cranky and having trouble transitioning to sleep. Here's what helps:
    - Motion. Rocking in a rocking chair, swinging in a swing, driving in a car, riding in a stroller.
    - Contact. Wearing your baby in a sling may soothe her.
    - Nurse. You can't do it too often!
    - Give baby a warm bath.
    - Swaddle. Some babies like being wrapped up.
    - Go outside. Both my kids would stop fussing the instant we stepped outside!
    - Time. Fussy evenings generally disappear by about 3 months.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you ladies, she has plenty of wet and voided diapers! She has so many vioded diapers infact I had to ask her doctor if it was normal after I posted this last night I was feeding her. I acutally started wondering if the problem is when she feeds off my breast when they are full she is very good but also dose the milk flow easier when full because I am now thinking when she is wanting to keep feeding and feeding after she has drained them she dose not have a very good latch it seems and it dose not feel like she has a very strong suckel! I don't know I just hope I can make it to the meeting I spoke with my local lll group leader and they are having a meeting on the 21st and they can watch me feed her to help with any latch issuse we may have! I just really want it to work this time she is my 4th baby and with my othe 3 I never made it past thr 1st or 2nd weeks!

she has plenty of wet and voided diapers! She has so many vioded diapers infact I had to ask her doctor if it was normal
    Terrific! In case your doctor hasn't answered your question yet, it's totally normal for a breastfed baby to poop every time she eats. Often putting something in at the top of the baby's digestive system stimulates her to move something out at the bottom. Poop frequency will decrease with time, though. You won't be changing a zillion poopy diapers every day!

I acutally started wondering if the problem is when she feeds off my breast when they are full she is very good but also dose the milk flow easier when full because I am now thinking when she is wanting to keep feeding and feeding after she has drained them she dose not have a very good latch it seems and it dose not feel like she has a very strong suckel!
    When you're extremely full, the milk generally comes out faster than when you're feeling empty. And some babies who prefer a fast flow get fussy when the flow slows down.

When you say your baby does not seem to have a good latch or strong suckle after she has drained a breast, what exactly do you mean? Is her latch painful? Or is it just that her suckling is less eager than at the start of a feeding? If her latch becomes painful at the end of a feeding, you may need to take her off the breast, burp her, and relatch. If she's just suckling more gently, the issue is probably just that she has transitioned from suckling for food to suckling for comfort, which produces a more gentle feeling.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had the exact same problem! It turns out that my baby liked to suck. That's it. So here's what I do: first I feed the baby for as long as he stays latched on well. When he starts to come off, and on... I know he's done, and just playing. So I sit him up and burp him. Normally, he cries like he's not done eating, but instead I just burp him anyway, and tell him he can have more if he wants it when he's done burping. After he burps a couple of good burps, he's usually good, but if he wants more, I give him a little bit more. When he was three weeks though, I'd give him more, and he'd just spit up... and so then I knew that he just wanted to suck, so I give him the pacifier when he wants to suck. As to your milk supply, try not to worry, it should be fine.