Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too Close to Giving Up

Default Re: Too Close to Giving Up

pumping exclusively is much more time consuming and more of a commitment then nursing. I had to EP for my DS due to his cleft lip and palate. And now that I can nurse DD, it is a totally different world of ease. Yeah, the beginning is a struggle for some, but it gets easier. I agree with DJs mom, just PLAN on it being constant nursing for the next few weeks, enjoy it rather then fearing it. This time is soooo short and you will never have it back again. It is the ONLY time that you will enjoy simple days with your baby. Yes, these are the simple days...lol. Beofre you know it you will be chasing around a toddler thinking, where did the time go?
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

w pp that you need to just park yourself on the couch and nurse all day if thats what your lo wants to do. I remember with my dd that I would nurse her for an hr and 45 mins and then 15 mins later she would want to nurse again. Put on some good TV and just veg out. Drink and eat and pee and forget about housework!!!!!!!!! Seriously this is the only time you will be able to do that. My poor ds often is hanging off my boob while I run after dd!
    And keep in mind you will never regret nursing. I have many friends who gave up and FF and they all regret not continuing to nurse. They really are only this small and needy once. You are doing an awesome job!

ETA: It took a lot of latching and relatching to find a position that worked for me. The flipple links that I gave you helped us but I ended up with a modified flipple because dd would not open her mouth wide enough.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

It is not necessarily the time consumption of nursing...it is the constant worry like after she eats and she is fussy but won't nurse again I wonder if she is starving even though she does eventually go to sleep or get happy again. Also, I feel like she is an unhappy child and she is generally up all night, so I just sit and wonder if it's something in my diet and I have tried eliminating like everything. It is to the point where I feel like I can't go out to eat, and now i just decided to try Dr. Sears elimination diet, but the whole time i think what if its not something in my diet??

Newborns are just fussy, some more than others. It sounds like you are doing a good job. DS2 was very fussy, colicky in the evenings, wanted to nurse all the time, but I swear it did get easier. I EPed for 17 months for DS1 and that only got harder. As DS1 got older he wanted to play with the pump while I was pumping and DH had to distract him a lot. I missed out on a lot of bonding with him by having to sit and pump for 2+ hours every day. I'm thankful I stuck with nursing DS2 even though we had more than our share of challenges.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Why do you think you need to cut stuff out of your diet? Does she have blood in her poop or any other signs of an allergy or intolerance? What symptoms are there besides fussiness?
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Newborns can just be fussy. Can't really blame them. They were so nice and cozy for 40 weeks with somebody eating for then, breathing for them, held close to their momma in the perfect embrace...

Maybe try checking out the happiest baby on the block by Harvey Karp. We did all of it but the paci. She boob sucked instead. Saved my life! that and lll support.

You sound like you're doing a great job! I watched tons of tv then and miss the old days when I could while nursing. Hang in there!

ETA: I pump 3x a day at work. I'd lose my mind if I had to ep. I really give kudos to epers. It is hard work!! Nursing is so much easier and more satisfying.
    Last edited by @llli*yoginimama; December 5th, 2010 at 09:53 PM.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

dont give up !! one day at at time and YES sooo normal to be attached to the boob! but that is not just for food but comfort too- and as it does hamper a little bit of your freedom it is so worth it in the long run. I almost gave up MANY times but stuck it out and still nurse my son who will be one in a week and half. the bond we have is amazing and we are soo close. it is not easy and you basically have to base your life around breastfeeding but really once you have a child you base your life around them anyway so its not too bad. YOU CAN DO IT keep up the good work and hang in there

one more thing- pumping exclusively is hard since the pump is never as good as the baby so you will slowly and slowly get less and less . besides if you are going to do the hard work of pumping- just take the time, put your feet up and nurse and bond with your munchkin. much more enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Samiha View Post
    Why do you think you need to cut stuff out of your diet? Does she have blood in her poop or any other signs of an allergy or intolerance? What symptoms are there besides fussiness?
    At about two weeks she did have a very small streak of blood in her poop, but to this day I am convinced that was due to orange juice because it was something I had just started drinking and once I cut it out of my diet I have seen no more blood, but she still continues to have really liquidy, foamy, dark yellow diapers (but it seems her diapers have always been that way)...oh she also started fussing at the breast around three weeks, which she still does even after cutting out dairy but not nearly as terribly as she did it then...at that time she basically refused to nurse. I am kind of wondering if dairy or a food allergy is not the problem but an imbalance of foremilk to hindmilk is...? Everyone on this forum calls it OALD which I disagree with for my own situation because if she pulls of the breast which is rare my milk does not spray out or anything like that. Basically the answer to the foremilk/hindmilk imbalance is block feeding, but I don't want to lose my supply. Has anyone had a situation similar to mine??

I had a lot of trouble the first month and most of the second as well. At 3 months (today) I LOVE breastfeeding my girl.

You'll get the hang of it. Honestly what helped me the most was watching others breastfeed - on You Tube, breastfeeding website videos and at LLL meetings. I really think because breastfeeding is just not done out in public anymore, those of us learning have a harder time.

Just keep trying different positions, use ice and nipple cream to sooth sore nipples and be encouraged that after awhile you nipples will not hurt, and will actually crave to breastfeed, and you and your baby will be breastfeeding like pros.
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>