Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about oversleeping and supply:eek:

Question Question about oversleeping and supply:eek:

I've never been one for sleep deprivation (as though any of us are, but my DH is a much better sport about it than I am!) and I slept a luxurious 8 hours straight last night. To avoid nighttime nursing meltdowns, DH gives DD a bottle of breastmilk, (eventually I will nurse), but the first few weeks (she's 22 days old) have been super sore and sometimes having a break and not being awake alone is a huge relief. I awoke however and realized that I didn't wake up to pump! I know that this was only a one time thing, but is it going to have a detrimental effect on my supply? I've also heard that going more than 6 hours without feeding/pumping can cease the fertility suppression that I am so grateful for as well. Can anyone offer any insight on my concerns? Thank you in advance!! P.S. I couldn't empty my breasts fast enough when I woke up...massive engorgement (poor girls!!)

Default Re: Question about oversleeping and supply:eek:

Congrats on your new baby!

Skipping one nursing/pumping session isn't going to have a lasting effect on your supply if things go back to normal the next day and you don't do it repeatedly. But it's true that not nursing at night increases the chances that your fertility will return sooner. And because most women make the most milk, and the most lactation hormones, at night, not nursing at night may also lower your supply overall - this is true for some, but not all women. And finally, because the pump isn't as effective as nursing, especially in the early days when your supply is being established, pumping instead of nursing could very slowly decrease your supply (probably nothing to worry about unless you ONLY pump at night and NEVER nurse).

Personally, I find cosleeping and just rolling over to nurse my LO to be easier than trying to wake up and pump - at least, that has been the case since Joe was three or four months old, and didn't need as much assistance with latching on. I can definitely understand wanting more sleep! But for me ... having to wake up and figure out pump equipment and bottles ... YAWN.

Can you tell us more about your soreness? We might be able to help with that too, and it sounds like that could help with your nighttimes.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I wouldn't worry about it affecting your supply. The great thing about supply is that if does go down, all you need to do is nurse lots to get it back up. The main thing is to have established a full milk supply by a month, which sounds like you're just about there.

I might worry about you getting mastitis though if you're not used to going such a long stretch. But then again I went lots of 8 hour stretches when DS was a newborn and never got mastitis. Went one 6 hour stretch with DD and got mastitis. Go figure.

Some moms find the pumping in the morning and having dad give their breastmilk by bottle at night works for them and they keep this up long-term with no issues.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monika.h View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it affecting your supply. The great thing about supply is that if does go down, all you need to do is nurse lots to get it back up.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monika.h View Post
    Some moms find the pumping in the morning and having dad give their breastmilk by bottle at night works for them and they keep this up long-term with no issues.
    I tried that with DH and eventually stopped to make sure we'd have no nipple preference develop. If I had to do it all over again I would have asked DH to cup feed and wanted to go along with this longer, so I could have had a little discretionary personal time once a day. I had PPD, and I think time off would have helped.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?