Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightweaning

Default Re: Nightweaning

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    No way I'm actively night weaning E. She is not waking 5,000 times before I come to bed now and is so pooped with holidays and puppy that she sleeps so far over on DH's side part of the night that he makes her move back over to me. I am really enjoying night nursing now. It's all sweet and shorter and most of it is in the wee snuggly hours o the morning.

I was not even close to here at 20 months.
    Last night was a beast! Uggh.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Hugs to all you mamas with the up all night little ones. I will be rejoining your ranks soon.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    ... And really if it hadn't been absolutely necessary I don't know that I would have had the mental stamina to stick to it and cuddle her through the tears instead of just giving in and nursing her.
    Yep, this is what i'm thinking... I guess it isn't absolutely necessary yet, or there wouldn't be the hesitation!
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    Last night was a beast! Uggh.
    I hope things are getting better for you, mama Last night went a little smoother for us, but only because I gave in and let Lennon sleep on top of me all night!
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!

So Andrea thanks for the link to the update Dr. Jay Gordon's site. We're on day 2 of the second part and it seems to be going well. Keep your fingers crossed ladies.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Tiff - how's it going?

DH and I talked and we are going to try nudging M to nightweaning. Going about it a little differently since we don't cosleep. DH here doing the soothing.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

You ladies don't know how good reading all these posts have made me feel! SO I AM NOT ALONE!

Anyways, LoLi (Olivia) is 22 months old. She is my second one and totally opposite of my son Ian who at 12 months exactly weaned himself and started childcare with no issues whatsoever. Now LoLi is a whole different story. She is extremely demanding and very very very attached to mommy.

So attached I decided to co-sleep, what cost me... no more sleeping. All of the sudden she started waking up all the time, wanting to be on the breast as if I was a paci.

I blamed myself for baby wearing since she was born and then for co-sleeping, but reading these posts looks like it may just be the way she is.

She eats everything but very little, slowly and gets tired of eating and asks for the boobie afterward. Right now she is crying and begging for it again, when she just had a nice breakfast and was entertained watching Dora, but I guess when she gets bored she comes to the relaxing "paci".

Here is the interesting part of the post: last night was my first night trying to wean her. She went to sleep at 7:30pm. She woke up at 10:30pm. She was fine, trying to sleep on her own bed, teddy on hand, and me sitting on the floor next to her. She kept opening her eyes checking if I was still there. At around 11:15pm she broke down into a piercing screaming demanding what was here until then: the calming soothing tata... The crying lasted until around 12:30am when I decided to hug her very tightly and scratch her back until she fell asleep on top of me. I laid her next to me on my son's top bunk bed (who was sleeping with daddy).

Woke up again at around 3:30am and this one was the good one. She was shaking, out of breath, crying and madly demanding "teta"! My husband came over to try to help sooth her but she wanted no business with him.

I believe it lasted around 1 hour or so and she fell asleep on top of me, this time me laying down. I moved her over and got around 2 hours of sleep. At 6:40am she woke up in a very good mood and I gave her the morning breast. SHE EARNED IT.

I will try again tonight. And the next, and the next. Until she sleeps through the night. I will try to give her "on demand" while working at home. If we are on the road she doesn't ask for it, or she gets busy doings something else, or she just falls asleep in the car. HER MAIN USE OF THE BOOBIE IS TO FALL ASLEEP!

TO THE EXPERIENCED ONES: is this approach possible? should I try anything else? Should I keep the night feedings and try to wean her from the day ones? I work at home and its easier to give her during the day, she gets a little bit and goes back to what she was doing.

MAIN REASON: financial situation is forcing me to go back to work. I'm looking for a job, so as soon as I start on one, she will have to go to childcare. It is going to be harder if I don't try to wean her before.

ALL FEEDBACK IS TRULY APPRECIATED! I feel so desperate and tired, but I think cutting her off "cold turkey" will make things worse. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks a lot and Happy Holidays! ♥
    22 months breastfeeding!

What's the Jay Gordon method I hear you guys talk about?

Thanks

LP
    22 months breastfeeding!

lulides

I just wanted to say you don't have to wean your child fully to go back to work. If you wanted to, you could still nurse her in the morning and at night.

My friend nightweaned her daughter the way you're doing it - basically told her that when the sun came up that she could nurse again. She had a tough week, but got through it. She then fully weaned a couple months later - around 25ish months, and now at 27 months, her daughter is still waking at night. It has gotten better, mostly, but it wasn't a magic pill. It is who her daughter is. It looks like you came to that conclusion about your daughter - I just wanted to agree with you that it wasn't anything you did that made your daughter that way.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lulides View Post
    What's the Jay Gordon method I hear you guys talk about?

Thanks

LP
    http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

Ladies, after almost 3 years (well, actually 1,088 days/nights) of 2-6 night wakings Evan is finally sleeping through the night! Right before he turned 3 I told him we weren't going to nurse at night now. Night is just for sleeping but we'll nurse when the sun is up in the morning, at nap and to bed at night. I fully believe that because of his age he understood and there you have it. Since then no night nursings. Oh gosh I wish all of you 6-7 solid hours of sleep! It took forever but it finally happened!!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens