Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightweaning

Default Re: Nightweaning

Dang - I was hoping you had some good tips for how to pull off nightweaning with minimal trauma to everyone. DS2 is about 6 mo younger and I am so DONE with the non-stop night nursing. I swear this kid is reverse cycling. And he's had all teeth except 2nd year molars for a long time so I can't even blame it on teething.

When I reach my breaking point, DH is going to jump in to do even more nightime parenting and soothe DS2 through nightweaning.

We did put the kids in the same room together about 6 mo ago. DS2 is younger so in a <gasp> crib. DS1 is in a toddler bed. When DS2 is a little older we'll probably get a 2nd toddler bed and then let the kids sleep however they want.

I think it might have been Leslie who put the kids' beds side by side so they could sleep together if they wanted to?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

We're right there with you. And I really think I would be more okay with it if she wasn't a nipple pincher. I always think of Kelly and Grace when I consider night-weaning. They didn't, and Grace sleeps great now. I nightweaned Daniel at 16 months, he had all his teeth except his two year molars. I was pregnant and couldnt handle the night nursing. I used Dr Jay's method and it went great.

Lucy wouldnt handle it that well though.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    We're right there with you. And I really think I would be more okay with it if she wasn't a nipple pincher. I always think of Kelly and Grace when I consider night-weaning. They didn't, and Grace sleeps great now. I nightweaned Daniel at 16 months, he had all his teeth except his two year molars. I was pregnant and couldnt handle the night nursing. I used Dr Jay's method and it went great.

This exact post is what is going on here. I used Dr. Jay's method with K too and I know that Lulu would not handle it. She's not a pincher, she's a poker and a choker. So not fun.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zplum View Post
    Might I suggest getting knocked up
    LOL

It's crazy that on one hand I want DS nightweaned SO BAD, and then on the other I am going through a bad case of baby blues

...Just wanted to add, mothersky, I was trying to be super positive and encouraging in my last reply, kind of giving myself a pep talk too i guess, but i totally empathize with all your frustration, anger, and resentment.

These last few nights have been especially hard. And during the day i have been so frazzled. i just wanna pull my hair out, scream, cry, and pass out!

But I'm worried that nightweaning will be a nightmare too!
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!

Madeline has had her first three teeth in a week(!) and has been renewing my confidence in how to function under sleep-deprivation. DH has been solid gold and did nighttime parenting too, even changed her nappy and gave her a suppo last night when she had a low-grade fever.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bxlgirl View Post
    Madeline has had her first three teeth in a week(!) and has been renewing my confidence in how to function under sleep-deprivation. DH has been solid gold and did nighttime parenting too, even changed her nappy and gave her a suppo last night when she had a low-grade fever.

The left eyeteeth point is through the gums, waiting on the right one.

"Don't toush da mango"

I wish I could blame teeth - "baby" here has all but 2nd molars.

He just LOOOOOOVES night time "mommy milk".

Sigh.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    This exact post is what is going on here. I used Dr. Jay's method with K too and I know that Lulu would not handle it.
    Ladies, I just want to chime in and say that I bet you thought Daniel and K wouldn't handle it well before you tried it either. I never in a million years would have thought Nora would night wean. If I hadn't been pregnant I never would have even tried because I was so sure it that she wouldn't go for it. But when it came down to it and I HAD to try, it went so much better than I thought.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Ladies, I just want to chime in and say that I bet you thought Daniel and K wouldn't handle it well before you tried it either. I never in a million years would have thought Nora would night wean. If I hadn't been pregnant I never would have even tried because I was so sure it that she wouldn't go for it. But when it came down to it and I HAD to try, it went so much better than I thought.

Although, I will say, I didn't actually do it. DH took over nights. But of course, I didn't have any milk left either - so that may have helped.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I know. I guess I'm just anticipating it being so much harder because of her personality.

"Don't toush da mango"