Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Meals and nursing?

Default Meals and nursing?

my DD is almost 13 mos old. What is a good meal plan? Like breakfast lunch dinner and snacks? How often do you nurse when they are past 1? I wanted to stop at 1 but my DD was hospitalized and nursing was her comfort so since she got out of the hospital we've been nursing since.
    Mommy to Madison born 10/30/09

I love We

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 13...

Default Re: Meals and nursing?

My dd loves scrambled eggs, so we have that for breakfast a lot, I usually dice up onions, bell pepper, and (whatever other good veggies are on hand) add it too the scramble. for snacks small pieces of fruit like two raspberries, two blueberries and a slice of banana. for lunch she eats light so I usually give her plain toast or spread lightly some pure peanut butter, or we have fresh veggies or a salad. she like to eat another snack sometimes I give her small cubes of cheese or plain yogurt (whole fat greek) and she almost always has what we eat for dinner which can be anything, our family eats a LOT of rice (mainly because it is soooo cheap) and beans as well, so usually or dinners revolve around that. I would say to offer healthy things like fresh vegetables and fruit and let your child lead, some days they will eat more than others.

How often you nurse depends on how comfortable you are, I practice the 'don't offer don't refuse' and my DD (if we are at home) will nurse every two hours, sometimes more often. just because I know she doesn't need to nurse at night I try to pat her back or massage her back to sleep, but that doesn't always work and so she nurses about 2-3 times a night, (or more if she is sick or teething)

No reason to stop BF if you still are OK with it, it is just as healthy for your LO now as it was when they were born, just not completely necessary because they can drink other things (like cows milk or water) BUT your milk has far more benefits and has more calories and fat then cows milk or formula.... If you choose to wean that is ok be impressed with how far you have made it, 13 months is a great age to make it too!!

We don't drink cows milk in our house so I just choose to BF until she has no need (basically when she self weans). Human milk for my human baby!!
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*laurak View Post
    Human milk for my human baby!!
    LOVE IT!!!

DD eats a variety of foods, more like grazing all day then 3 square meals! She is almost 20 months and still nurses frequently and overnight.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

yup no need to wean if your not ready
    some kids that age are eating very little table food
    others lots
    ITs just up to them realy!

There is no pattern with Mollie. Some days she pigs out on regular food, some days is nothing but breast. I work M-F so she is at daycare for lunch 5 days out of the week and eats well there, at home and on weekends it's a crapshoot. Mollie also nurses 3-4 times during the night, which really doesn't bother me - I figure I'll do it until she is tired of it.
    Lori -
    wife to Davis, my best friend and strongest supporter
    43 yo mom to 3

Lee Allen Christopher - 18 - precious preemie , all grown up; BF 6 wks
    Connor Ethan - 13 - my red head , ALL boy, ALL the time; BF 14 mo
    Mollie Rhiannon - 4 - my surprise , more fun than I ever expected; BFing, no end in sight!!

My DD's 13.5MO. We do baby-led solids so she pretty much shares whatever we do. I let her eat with us in all the 3 meals. I don't give her any snack yet (and don't plan to very soon), just BF. I also still BF 30-45 mins before a solid meal. I had a chance to see Dr. Alicia Dermer (family physician, IBCLC, who wrote some articles for LLL and kellymom.com) in a BF support group and she said she recommends it still for babies my DD's age. My DD still nurses 8-10 times per 24 hours.

My babe just turned one year old and he eats breakfast, lunch, dinner with occasional snacking (whatever I have in my hand). I make sure he has a veggie, fruit, protein and, grain at every meal.

Very simple stuff like peas, corn, ww pita/toast, beans, pear, grapes, apple, banana, brown rice, rice cakes, tortilla, turkey, chicken, beef. My babe is also allergic to Milk, Egg, Fish, Avocado and, Tree Nuts which means we have gone "back to the basics" with meal planning.

We do Baby-Led Weaning so everything is given to him whole. I know he is done when he starts dropping all his food on the floor or when he starts getting antsy. Also, I give him a sippy with water at meals. He nurses throughout the day and night, about 8-12x total.

*don't offer, don't refuse is weaning advice. offer to nurse whenever you feel your babe might like it in addition to when they ask and of course for boo boos

9 yrs. w/ DH
    mother to Dylan
    11/27/2009 ~ 7 lbs. 3 oz. ~ 20 & 1/2 inches

and and

we're almost to THREE YEARS!

Thanks for the helpful tips!
    Mommy to Madison born 10/30/09

I love We

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 13...