Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Working and LLL Leadership

Default Working and LLL Leadership

I recently heard that LLL did not let working moms become leaders - but then I heard the opposite.

If there are any working Leaders out there - how much do you work and how often are your kids not with you?

Default Re: Working and LLL Leadership

I know some leaders that work.

each case is different...it depends on how you handle the separation
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3boysmomma View Post

each case is different...it depends on how you handle the separation
    Yup, this. I can verify that there are many LLL Leaders who are working mothers or were when they were accredited.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

That's interesting to hear. I didn't know that it was possible to be a LLL leader while working outside of the home. I wanted to get involved with LLL but all of the groups in my area meet on weekday mornings and I work.

A friend went to a LLL meeting during her maternity leave and was told by the leader that she had no advice to give on pumping/working and that if my friend wanted to continue nursing she should just find a way to SAH. She was crushed to hear that - but has since successfully navigated her return to work and is still nursing her baby! And after hearing that I figured I wouldn't be welcome at a LLL meeting anyways.

The hospital-based support group that we go to is led by an IBCLC and she started an evening meeting for the working moms. It's well attended and all of us are so thankful that we have a way to continue meeting and getting support from each other.
    Katie - mom to Lily, 8/5/2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katiebug View Post
    That's interesting to hear. I didn't know that it was possible to be a LLL leader while working outside of the home. I wanted to get involved with LLL but all of the groups in my area meet on weekday mornings and I work.

A friend went to a LLL meeting during her maternity leave and was told by the leader that she had no advice to give on pumping/working and that if my friend wanted to continue nursing she should just find a way to SAH. She was crushed to hear that - but has since successfully navigated her return to work and is still nursing her baby! And after hearing that I figured I wouldn't be welcome at a LLL meeting anyways.

The hospital-based support group that we go to is led by an IBCLC and she started an evening meeting for the working moms. It's well attended and all of us are so thankful that we have a way to continue meeting and getting support from each other.
    That is just awful!!!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katiebug View Post

that is awful! in my immediate area there are two groups a morning group and an evening group, when i was on maternity leave i started going to the morning group and they were so helpful, when i returned to work i continued to go to that same meeting because I felt so supported, most of the moms in that group had never pumped other than to get a little for another caregiver like dad or a sitter to feed as backup, so they didn't have first hand knowledge or support but they still encouraged me and helped me to find additional resources. I was undergoing medical treatment for a very large fibroid tumor so I would book my monthly appointments for just before or after the meeting and take a half day from work, i would take my son with me and after a while I became the go to mom for pumping questions when a new mom needed help, I found the forums here and also started referring local moms to come here, i really enjoyed those Wednesday mornings. I tried a few times to go to the evening meetings but it just doesn't fit with our schedules, since i work so late and the meeting is an hour and a half after that, it just made for a bad night with a toddler.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

There are evening or Saturday groups that tend to be made up of mostly working moms, while daytime groups are usually SAHMs and working moms who are on maternity leave. That's just how it works out because of the logistics; everyone is welcome at either type of meeting. One of my co-Leaders works full time as a teacher, so she leads with our group in the summer and a nearby Saturday group the rest of the year.

Whether or not there are any evening groups in a given area depends entirely on the Leaders who live there. Since LLL Leaders are volunteers, what meetings they can offer depends on how it fits in with their lives. I'm sure there are a lot of moms in my area who would benefit from an evening meeting, but none of the Leaders in my group are able to do that.

Now, if a Leader Applicant came to us and said she wanted to start an evening group after she was accredited, that would be awesome! We would do everything we could to help her get it up and running.

A friend went to a LLL meeting during her maternity leave and was told by the leader that she had no advice to give on pumping/working and that if my friend wanted to continue nursing she should just find a way to SAH.
    Yikes! That is very surprising (and disturbing) to hear. Not every Leader has experience in every aspect of breastfeeding, but normally when that happens, we try to refer the mom to someone with the relevant experience, whether it's another Leader, a group mom in a similar situation, or an LC.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I know Leaders are volunteers, and I'm sure if I was a SAHM I would want to keep evenings as family time. It was a little frustrating during my maternity leave to be looking for a LLL meeting and have nothing that would work for me once I went back to work. My mom was a LLL member when I was a baby and I had assumed that I would be able to find a meeting too.

Prior to my support group starting the evening meeting, my plan was to take a half vacation day once or twice a month in order to continue attending the daytime meeting with my baby. I'm sure if I had started going to a LLL meeting during my maternity leave I would have done just that in order to continue going.

Can you be a LLL member without actually going to a group meeting?
    Katie - mom to Lily, 8/5/2010

Can you be a LLL member without actually going to a group meeting?

yeah you can become a member on the webs site.

To be a leader they would like you to go to a set of meetings but there are sometimes ways for mothers that don't have local groups to go about becomeing a leader with out going to meetings.