Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ready to throw in the towel

Unhappy Ready to throw in the towel

So, my left side has been sore due to poor latching for the past few days. I tried only pumping on that side so that it will heal. Unfortunately, I developed clogged ducts which I had to let DS nurse on it so he can unclog the ducts. It didn't help the nipple to heal, needless to say and I developed raw/scabs. I went to pump this morning and got 4 oz of bloody milk Such a waste of precious milk! I was really trying to achieve my goal of nursing for a year. My son is 9 months old so I thought 3 more months wouldn't be so bad. I just feel like I don't want to try anymore. During these 9 months, I've had many issues with poor latch, sore nipples, clogged ducts, blisters, etc. Now, I am sore again and just so tired. I would still like to try to nurse while I am at home and use formula on the days he is at the babysitter's. I don't want to pump anymore. I feel a little bit sad, but I think I am ready. Just had to vent here.

Default Re: Ready to throw in the towel

{{{hugs}}} to you. have you tried lanilon? It really helped me to heal. ALso, sore nipple sheilds were great...I wore them for 2 days in between feedings and bam...I was healed! Just a couple of suggestions...HTH.

Hi there!
    I know how you feel. I found pumping to be pretty painfull until, I put a thin coat of lanolin on the pump's breast flange. This reduced friction and it really helped. Also, I used hard shells/hobbitts under my clothes, so that my nipples would get constant air flow. I found that going toppless when no one was around and in bed at night helped to "toughen" my nipples. Oh, and nursing more frequent for less time was good too. I had the same issue with bloody milk with my 1st baby and was told that it wouldn't hurt him, but, I don't know how accurate this is.
    If you have time to kill I wrote about my bf experience in "dd weaned, hormones gone crazy! Help!", It's long but, I was very sincere.

I hope you feel better! Let us know how you are doing...

knmama

HI. Sorry your having a rough spot! You may want to PM a LLL here directly but I feel like I have seen it written here that there is no issure w/ bloody milk. That you don't have to dump it. That it's the same as what your baby would be ingesting if he drank off that side so it's not a problem. @nine months is something new or did something change to cause a bad latch? Is it something that can be easily corrected? I feel like sometimes( I have 6 teeth to deal with) pumping is EASIER than fighting the toothy monster! DO you have a freezer stash? You are SOOO close to your goal. 12 more weeks. You are tough. You can do it!!!

My son has ALWAYS had a bad latch. He has good days and bad days, but every couple of weeks he will not latch well and I end up sore. Part of it is my fault too because I get so desperate and tired, that I try to nurse him in the sidelying position knowing he will not latch on properly. But, I just need sleep! I went to an LC during the first few months, but he still doesn't latch well. He doesn't flare his lips out. Likes to purse them and I am constantly trying to pull his lips out or put pressure on his lower jaw. I use lanolin all the time. I have been going thru this cycle with him for 9 months!

Are you sure the bloody milk is okay for him to drink? It won't give him a belly ache? The bottle of milk that I pumped was pretty red from the blood.

We tried mixing a little bit of formula with the breastmilk yesterday. Drank the first bottle, but didn't finish the 2nd and 3rd bottles. I think he is catching on and becoming increasingly suspicious

With both ds K and dd N, there was blood in the breast milk (when they were newborns), and we had no problems related to this.

Since you've been to a lc they probably told you this but, I'll mention it just in case: I have very small breasts and nipples and dd N would draw her lips in rather than out, at lll meetings they told me to hold my breast (not the nipple) in my hand and tickle her lips with until she would open her mouth, then put the whole nipple and as much of the breast as possible in her mouth but, only if her mouth was wide open. I could encourage her to do this by pressing her lower jaw with my breast while still holding it in my hand. It took all of the pain away.

If you have not tried this, it is worth a try. I did not do this with my 1st baby and gave up way too soon. With my second baby I still had to do this sometimes well into her 2nd year. She self weaned 2 weeks ago at 21 & 1/2 months.

Hang in there, you are doing great! You should give yourself a pat on the back for all that you are doing for your baby. This sounds corny but, take each day as it comes, let go of expectations and start out going for attainable goals slowly. I got so caught up in everything that I saw as a failure when my 2nd baby was a newborn that I now have a hard time remembering the sweet, beautiful things that happened during that time.

Take a hot bath and a much needed nap, you not only deserve it, it is your right!

knmama