Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: "preparing" breasts for breastfeeding?

Default "preparing" breasts for breastfeeding?

I have huge issues with cracked and painful nipples that are not going away (dd is 6 weeks old) - that's another story and i've made separate threads about it - but many people tell me i should have somehow prepared my breasts prior to birth, by rubbing them with a rough cloth or shower sponge, so they toughen up and aren't so sensitive. Even one doctor told me this could have prevented my problems. I recall reading somewhere that no preparation is required and that doing that could even be harmful since it removes the natural oils from the skin. What do you think, would it have helped to do this? Did any of you do it?

Default Re: "preparing" breasts for breastfeeding?

I have read the same thing that It won't help just make it worse. Now, I had the problem at first as well and looking back I think that I should have treated myself for flat nipples before I had my DD. I think that that WOULD HAVE helped me alot. To draw the nipple out first.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

No prepping necessary the best wat to solve cracked nipples is to work on the latch
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

The only prep for BF you need is to read up on it or take a class. Education!
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

with the PPs. A good latch is what you need. Washcloths and rubbing don't do a darn thing. It's a total old wives' tale.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had a doctor tell me use sandpaper...

and a doctor once told my mom cause his wife was a rn baby nurse and she couldn't figure out how to nurse then no woman could..

and that was just not true.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    I had a doctor tell me use sandpaper...

and a doctor once told my mom cause his wife was a rn baby nurse and she couldn't figure out how to nurse then no woman could..

and that was just not true.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

It makes me and when I read these.

Think of what actually happens to your nipples when you're nursing with a proper latch. Your nipple is sucked, so that it stretches to reach the back of the baby's mouth. So the skin is stretched like it has never before. That takes some time for your body to adjust to. The skin must remain supple in order to do this.

Now then - let's think of what this "advice" would do. They say to "toughen" your nipples. If your nipple was "tough", the skin would no longer be supple and wouldn't e able to stretch to reach the back of the baby's mouth. I would think it would probably end up cracking.

So from that perspective, "toughening up your nipples" would probably sabotage you. Our nipples are supposed to be sensitive and supple so that we are able to feel if the baby's latch is correct or not. A correct latch is important for our comfort and for correct milk flow for baby.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

No, there's no benefit to preparing your nipples in this way. Unless you have inverted nipples, I think there may be some benefit to preparation, although some people don't think it matters.

Here's a good video on the comfort-zone, which explains why.

http://www.ameda.com/resources/video

(Your baby knows how to latch on)

When breastfeeding is challenging, people are quick to blame the mom. Don't let them! Everybody blamed me when DD didn't latch even though I now know it was the poor help I got.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.