Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eats, spits up and still not happy???? Constantly feeding

Unhappy Eats, spits up and still not happy???? Constantly feeding

My son is 3 weeks old and is doing well breast feeding for the most part. There are hours where I am feeding him for 6 hours on and off constantly! I know he is getting milk because I hear him swallow and he spits up alot everytime.
    I was told the spitting up is common and means nothing to do with being "full" but he dose'nt settle after. At night he is doing better but from 2 - 8 in the afternoon it's crazy. I have only given him maybe 5 ounces of formula ever but I don't know what to do? Maybe a growth spurt or he is not getting enough?

Default Re: Eats, spits up and still not happy???? Constantly feeding

What you describe sounds very normal for such a young baby. Many babies have a lot of fussiness in the afternoon and evening- it's so common that there are names for the pattern ("the witching hours," "evenings-only colic," etc.). It's generally not happening because there's something wrong with your milk supply. It's just a baby being a baby. With my kids, I always felt like it was happening because they were too tired to eat and too hungry to fall asleep... Anyway, here are some things you can try:
    - Motion. Give your baby a ride in a sling, stroller, or a swing, rock him in a rocking chair, take him for a drive in the car.
    - Swaddle. Some babies calm down when swaddled.
    - Go outside. Fresh air can work like magic. With my second kid, we just took her outside every evening from around 6 to 8, and she would quiet right down!
    - Bath. Warm water can really soothe!
    - Nurse. There's no reason not to. I know it's tiring, but I for one would rather have a baby attached to me than a baby screaming at me!

If the above doesn't seem like it matches what you're experiencing, a growth spurt would be my alternate guess. There's a big one at around 3 weeks of age!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Great! I do just nurse him again to calm him down and eventually after all the spit up and gas he settles. Swaddling is great for him I have noticed...I am going to try that and keep moving forward not give up

3 weeks is a big growth spurt. Hang in there!

As long as he's gaining the right amount of weight, you're doing fine.

Sounds like you're doing great!

During the first 3 months, it's going to seem like all you do is nurse your baby. This is normal!

Try to get out of the house everyday, even if it's just a walk around the block. Being in the company of other mothers will help make these days pass quicker.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

sounds like you are doing great! All sounds normal for such a tiny baby. His tummy is getting used to digesting and if he swallows air it will come out! Keep nursing!!!!

Have you contacted your local LLL leader? Attended any meetings???
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK