Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could he have an allergy?

Default Could he have an allergy?

I have a strange feeling that Eli is allergic to something. When he nurses he pulls off a lot and he also has the worst smelly gas. He is also very rashy on his face. These things could prob be just random but I wanted to ask if maybe these are signs of an allergy to my milk.
    Last edited by @llli*roxyvelas; December 2nd, 2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: i want to subscribe

Default Re: Could he have an allergy?

Babies are almost never allergic to their mother's milk. Allergies are to things in mom's milk, things that mom eats. Proteins from cow's milk are a frequent culprit. Here's a link that may help: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...nsitivity.html

Pulling off the breast, smelly gas, and a facial rash can have a lot of different causes that are not necessarily related to allergy. Pulling off the breast and smelly gas in particular make me think of fast letdown: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think the forceful letdown is definitely an issue because when my milk comes down he always gets off, sometimes crying and it sprays him in the face. I usually just put slight pressure on the breast and wait for the spraying to stop before I offer it again. He usually doesn't want to nurse from that side for long but if I switch him to the other side, he drinks from that one better. SO based on the article, will nursing only one side per feeding help? WIll he get as much milk that way?

I did block feeding for three months before my supply finally regulated at 5 months. I had over supply and an over active letdown. The letdown was always just as powerful but my babe got use to it as he got older Feeding from one side at a time is normal from what I have seen and heard at La Leche League meetings (I still do it 12 months).

9 yrs. w/ DH
    mother to Dylan
    11/27/2009 ~ 7 lbs. 3 oz. ~ 20 & 1/2 inches

and and

we're almost to THREE YEARS!

With my first son I always offered both sides at every feeding so I'm just worried that if i only do one side per feeding he'll still be hungry. Did you find any difference with this?

If he's still hungry, put him back on the breast and let him continue nursing.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Both my kids got rashy faces as newborns, it just went away on its own. My doctor said it was somehow related to my hormones leaving their bodies.

As for the pulling off alot, yes, sounds like a forceful letdown. YOu can nurse ina reclining position. If your baby is gaining much more than the average 6 oz/week, you can do block feeding to reduce your supply. Or you can do the 1 side/feeding. I agree with pp, if he pulls off, then your milk sprays, after it stops spraying, it would put him back on the same side.

You can experiment with doing 1 side/feeding. If he seems hungry again, you can put him back on the same side. If he's wanting the second side, he'll definately let you know.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.