Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I've been supplementing

Default I've been supplementing

Hi. My DD was jaundice whenshe left the hospital and I was told to supplement with formula, much to my dismay. Now she is gaining weight like crazy. She only gets one bottle at night with formula before she goes to sleep. I was told it would help her sleep longer. I feeI guilty for doing that for as long as I have.
    I'm having trouble with my pump, pumping as much as I would like in order to feed her breastmik from the bottle from time to time, so even though her dr said it was ok to stop supplementing, I still am. Now, I'm looking to rent a hospital grade pump so I can feed her breastmilk exclusively. Is it too late to take her off the forluma? She's 7 weeks old.
    Thanks.

Default Re: I've been supplementing

Not at all...if the doctor said that she's ok to be off the formula, then instead of giving that last bottle at night, i'd allow her to nurse. She'll get what she needs. She may throw in an extra feeding or two if she needs your milk to increase...so don't fret, but if you don't have to have her on formula, i'd get her off of it now!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I agree with Shiloh's Mom...your baby may want to nurse more frequently especially if you haven't been pumping at the same times as your daughter is having a bottle of formula, but that's ok. It doesn't mean that you don't have enough milk, it's just your baby telling your body to make more. It won't take long for your body to catch up either.

You might want to try just breastfeeding your daughter at the times you were giving formula to increase your supply that way...if you've only been giving a bottle at bedtime, I'm sure your supply will increase in no time. You can look into renting a hospital grade pump, or buying a more efficient one, but it might not be necessary unless you're planning on returning to work in the next week or 2. If you'll be at home with baby, or at least will be for several weeks yet, a good pump...but less efficient than a hospital grade pump will probably be fine for a couple of bottles every now and then. You could try online...I think mines a Medela...it worked great.

One thing to consider though, is that during the early weeks and months, you are still establishing your breastmilk supply, so if you are skipping nursing sessions at the breast and baby is getting BM in a bottle instead, you really need to be pumping at the same time. It would probably be ok to skip a session once in a great while if baby is still eating every 1.5 to 2 hours, but I would advise against doing it very often...if baby isn't at your breast, you are telling your body not to make more milk...but baby is actually eating at that same time, so you really do need to be giving your body that signal... to make more.

I completely agree with the PP's. Your body is constantly adjusting supply to meet your baby's needs, so it is definitely possible to go to only breastmilk and no formula. Since your baby has only been getting one bottle a day of formula, it shouldn't even be too difficult. Your DD may want to nurse more frequently for a few days to up your supply, but your body should adjust fairly easily. Congratulations on your new baby! It sounds like she's off to a healthy start.

Thank you all so much. Most times, I feel like I am losing all control and that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing!!!

You can definitely do this! Your body is an amazing thing, and it will adjust to increased demand by making more milk. I second the pps, just give the baby your breast as often as you can. You will probably feel like you are "empty" for a day or so but your body will catch up, usually within 48 hours. Two things to know: even if you feel empty your breasts are still producing milk, and it is a myth that formula makes a baby sleep through the night.
    You can do it, mama!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on