Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Think we have thrush! :(

Default Think we have thrush! :(

I am so upset! I noticed some white on Chloe's upper and lower inside lips. I thought it was a callous but now I think otherwise. I also have a very sore right nipple that burns when she latches. This stinks! Anywho how is this treated normally?

Default Re: Think we have thrush! :(

Dont panic just yet. I just had a meeting with an LC the other night...and she said to look for white patches on the tounge. White spoits on the lips could just be milk plaques. Also, the pain will be in your nipple and deep in the breast, with a strong return of pain when the baby un-latches. But it may be the beginning of thrush. If it is, you will be given an oral anti-fungal med. for the baby and an anti-fungal cream for you. Good Luck!

P.S...I noticed your daughter is one day younger then my son. The reason I asked my LC about thrush is becaus I too have a painful burning in one nipple when my son latches...and she told me my aeriola was too hard and full...causing that burning pain because he has to grab it soooo hard to latch on. It's because at 2 weeks, the milk supply is still regulating, and that side may be producing a little much. Hand express a little to relieve it and dont use a pump because that pulls on the nipple and aeriola, causing more trauma. Thats what she said anyway...so now I'm trying to perfect the art of hand expression...not coming too easily to me, I must say!

I would start taking acidophilus anyways. It can't hurt you or Chloe if it turns out not to be thrush. You can get it at the grocery or health food store.

When shiloh and I got thrush I also took the capsule of acidophilus and opened it up and sprinkled the white powder on the inside of his cheeks. My pain in the breast subsided within 3 or 4 days. Also, beef up on your yogurt intake. Wash bras in really hot water with 1/4c vinegar in the load, and change your nursing pads often.

Let us know,
    Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Is thrush common among children who breastfeed and would a woman prone to yeast overgrowths pass that onto her baby. I only go about a month a year without having yeast issues. My doctor said there is nothing to do for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mamazambrano View Post
    Is thrush common among children who breastfeed and would a woman prone to yeast overgrowths pass that onto her baby. I only go about a month a year without having yeast issues. My doctor said there is nothing to do for it.
    Thrush overgrows where is is moist, dark, and warm. It could happen if you don't allow air and sunlight to hit the nipples once in a while.

Now, when you say you are prone to yeast, are you asking if the baby will be prone ot yeast too, or are you asking if you can pass the yeast infection to the baby when you have one? Because the latter is possible, and often problematic... I don't know if you can pass on being prone to it.

Yeah, I was asking if I can pass the candiddia to the baby. This is driving me crazy. I've dealt with this for 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mamazambrano View Post
    Yeah, I was asking if I can pass the candiddia to the baby. This is driving me crazy. I've dealt with this for 12 years.
    I dealt with yeast infections since I was a teenager, around every other month; when I got pregnant with my first I only had one yeast infection, not mild but not as I was used to either, since then, almost five years later I've only had 3 total (including the one already mentioned), and only one of them was unbearable and it happened on my second pregnancy. When I was pregnant with my first I had this weird co-worker telling me how the woman body goes through so many changes that somethings that she used to suffer from will be gone after childbirth, I ignored his comment being that he always said crazy stuff but I guess he was right, 3 yeast infections in 5 yrs is a huge change from over 6 a year. Maybe that will be your luck also!
    Last edited by @llli*mami.kathy; December 14th, 2006 at 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling