Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could he be ready for less feedings?

Default Could he be ready for less feedings?

I've been trying to consistently feed my son every 2-3 hrs during the day but lately he doesn't seem interested in eating for long when I do this. When I stretch it longer, he takes more. Could he be ready to stretch more time between feedings? He's never been the type of baby to want to eat constantly. He has plenty of wet diapers and he just turned two months old.

Default Re: Could he be ready for less feedings?

At only 2 months old, I would not try to stretch feedings during the day. It's too easy to screw up supply that way. Remember, supply = demand. A baby who doesn't get enough chances to demand may not be able to maintain adequate supply. Also, if your baby is giving you good sleep stretches at night, it's probably frequent feeding during the day that is enabling him to do so, because he's getting his caloric needs met during the day, instead of at night.

Any reason why you'd want to stretch out feedings? There may be another way to deal with the issue.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't think you need to try to feed your baby unless he lets you know he's hungry by rooting, sucking on a hand, starting to fuss, etc. Some babies will want to nurse more frequently than others, and occasionally, a very laid back baby will only rarely cue to eat, and then you do have to feed them sometimes even when they don't cue. But feeding your baby every three hours during the day, and a little less frequently at night, is great. So long as there are plenty of wets and he's gaining well, you don't need to second-guess his cues, you know you are doing well.

ETA: Sorry, Mommal, we crossed. OP, Mommal and agree on the basic thing here - if your baby indicates he WANTS to eat or suck, then feed him, even if it's for a short time. Don't stretch feedings past that point. But I think if your baby only cues for food every three hours but has a great feeding, that's fine.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; December 1st, 2010 at 04:19 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Eli is definitely one of those laid back babies. If its been about 3 hours I'll put him on the breast to eat but he can definitely go longer than that. My first son was the same. I saw in his baby book that in the third month he only had 5 feedings per day and slept all night without eating.

Wow! The polar opposite of my lil' bub!

Okay, in that case, I would encourage your baby to eat a bit more even if he's not demanding it. Don't go more than 2.5 to 3 hours (and four at night) until you've established your milk supply, and you're sure he's gaining well. Three months sounds about right. Then you can adjust for more sleep. (Lucky. )

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I know a mom who's 1st baby only nursed 6x a day. She also is one of those people who can pump 10oz out of each breast. She was concerned at the time because everybody tells you they need to nurse at least 8x a day. But he was gaining 1 pound/week so she finally decided he just wasn't a frequent nurser.

Totally different than my babies, who both wanted to eat every hour!!
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.