Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So Tired

Default So Tired

I'm not sure how you all do this for so long. My ds is 6 weeks old and I am running out of steam. He is up every two hours to eat constantly. My 3 year old is pretty "needy". My baby always wants to eat when we are out and about or if I have an appt somewhere. My dh is in the military so he isn't really any help. I am so tired. Every morning we have our "colicky" time between 5 and 8. He won't nurse or sleep or just look around without at least 45 minutes of screaming, sometimes up to an hour and a half of screaming. I just don't know how much energy I have left. We are 1000 miles away from my family and at least an hour drive from any Lll meetings. I am ready to start giving him formula just for a break and some sleep. I have OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) so the fact that my house is messy is basically physically painful for me. We just found out my dh leaves for Iraq for the second time in January. I would love to send my 3 year old to daycare for a break but nobody will take him be cause he isn't potty trained. I am just so overwhelmed. I feel like such a nonsuccess because so many people do this and more everyday. I guess I just needed to vent a little.

Default Re: So Tired

oh ya and my nipples are very sore and it is painful to nurse. but I don't think he is latching incorrectly.

signed
    crazy lady~

you are not crazy at all! It is normal to feel overwhelmed at times, b/c there is so much time and energy involved in the care of a baby. Especially, if you have another child also. I am glad you wrote b/c so many of us are also tired and at least we can encourage one another.
    My 7 week old is just beginning to fall asleep after being very fussy for the last hour or so. So, I can relate to you. Hang in there. Things will get easier (or so I`m told- I am also waiting for that to happen)
    Oh, and the formula. I am not a 100% on this, but I think it would cause more colic, b/c it is harder to disgest for babies.
    Just vent any time
    Peace

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Oh God reading your post reminds me so much of myself.
    My DD is also 6 weeks, almost 7. I'm lucky withthe fact that she's not colicky but she is very "needy". I also have OCD and the need to have things just so is overwhelming.
    We moved so I am living out of boxes, nothing is getting done and I am also exhausted. My DH is also always working. I am supplementing with formula but am trying to change that. I keep hearing that it will get better. I'm worried I'm not spending enough time with her. I'm only spending time with her to calm her down.
    Sigh, motherhood.....
    I think we just have to work on letting things happen as they may and stop obsessing but it's so much easier said than done.

at least its not just me! its no wonder mom's well being falls to the wayside; cooking, cleaning, nursing, caring for other children, caring for a husband, bills, groceries. i am so not looking forward to doing this all on my own for a whole year, i don't envy single parents because i get a glimpse of their world every other year appearantly! thanks everyone

Oh you guys...I too can relate...cant we all?? I'm sooo tired of being tired. But it does get better. And it's all worth every sleepless night. I just hope to god I can get used to these sore nipples!

You are not alone! I feel the same way with a 6 week old and 2.5 year old who is very needy. I feel like I am neglecting one child when tending to the other. My husband works very long hours so it is pretty much left up to me. My house is very dirty and it takes me a week to get 1 load of laundry done. I just try to keep in mind that it goes by very fast. Hang in there I know how you feel!

I remember those days--even with one it wasn't terribly unusual for me to end the day in tears b/c it was all so overwhelming. Do you have a sling or other carrier? A bundler is good when they get a little older and have more head control. I'm sure you remember from your first that it does get easier. Even though you are a distance from a LLL group, is there a leader you could call? Getting the latch under control to get rid of the pain will probably be a huge help for me. (I had pain when feeding for 9 weeks until we got my son's frenulum clipped.) Maybe she could at least give you some suggestions over the phone. You'll get through this. Keep nursing--you'll be glad you did.

tired of being tired
    Hey! Those are my famous words...lol! I have twins and NEVER expected it to be this tiring! I guess I was a little too confident when I was pregnant. People used to say "oh you poor thing" "what are you goint to do". I used to get upset at these comments! Well...I am making it work but I too am OCD and very out of control since my boys were born! I love them to death but I just want to be able to focus on making my house clean again and managing more than one load of laundry in three days! My dh is not much help either...he works 12 hrs 5 days a wk. and come home and cooos with the boys for about 20 mins. then goes and takes a NAP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Artillwife01 View Post
    I am ready to start giving him formula just for a break and some sleep. I have OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) so the fact that my house is messy is basically physically painful for me. We just found out my dh leaves for Iraq for the second time in January. I would love to send my 3 year old to daycare for a break but nobody will take him be cause he isn't potty trained. I am just so overwhelmed. I feel like such a nonsuccess because so many people do this and more everyday. I guess I just needed to vent a little.
    I have two suggestions. 1st get a sling or a wrap it will change your life!! It should also work wonders on the colicky period. So you can at least use that time to do SOMETHING. Also can you use the money you'd spend on Daycare for your older child to get a "Mothers' helper? Someone who could come over like 3 days a week fpr 4hours and help w/ your older child and do "Light house work"? this usually consists of laundry and dishes. Most people w/ OCD can't stand to let other people clean for them because they KNOW they could do a better job. But most mothers helpers would rather interact w/ the kids anyways and you really can't mess up the laundry and Dishes. If you wear your newborn and have a helper interact w/ older child and do the "light stuff" maybe you could spend sometime organizing and some time taking care of yourself.
    DEMAND that your husband help you some in the evenings. Even an hour a day can make a huge difference. The good news is you'll be over the hump by the time he leaves. Make use of him while you've got him. Hang in there. It gets easier. I can't imagine having to prepare formula and wash bottles will ever be easier than whipping out the boob. Especially w/a needy older child. 6 more weeks and your golden. Hold on.