Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reflux after 1

Default Re: Reflux after 1

Beth, we have never figured out what causes Joey's reflux. She's had a 24hr acid pH probe test, an upper GI, and has had extensive allergy testing (both SPT and RAST and 1 more can't remember)...anyways...everything has always been negative. She's been DF/SF for a long period of time, with no results

So we just treat the symptoms and have quit obsessing over what the cause might be

Sorry I don't have a better answer
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I wonder if we should talk to the doctor about allergies. I cut out dairy for 6 months with Levi because it seemed to bother him, added back in and he seemed fine. He eats cheese now, we haven't tried cow's milk. I guess if his reflux seems to continue past 18 months or so, maybe some testing would be in order?
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

DS1 will be 14 years old next month and he still battles relux. We stopped the daily meds and control his by diet and the occassional Zantac when he needs it. Trent vomits more than anyone I have seen. He laughs too hard and he pukes. Its weird though. As he got older he stopped projectile vomit and now when he vomits from the reflux its more like what we call spit up in babies. If he eats certain foods he will take meds because he has learned what triggers it.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

That's one thing is that Levi isn't spitting up anymore, but I THINK I can hear stuff coming back up and him swallowing it back down.
    Beth

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*samiha View Post
    That's one thing is that Levi isn't spitting up anymore, but I THINK I can hear stuff coming back up and him swallowing it back down.
    Is it all the time, or just certain foods or nursing?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*samiha View Post
    Trent explains the exact thing when his reflux is acting up. I'm glad he is older now and able to communicate the exact symptoms. it was rough in the beginning knowing what was truly wrong with my baby being a brand new young mom and covered in projectile vomit from head to toe the day my milk came in. My OALD didn't help. luckily we had a great pediatrician that helped us try homeopathic and alternative medicine before going to Zantac.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    Is it all the time, or just certain foods or nursing?
    It's with nursing only as far as I can tell. It just got bad the last few days before we started him back on the meds. I think he had been having mild symptoms the 3 weeks before that. I can't think of anything that has changed in my diet or his.
    Beth

Owen is 23 months and still on Prevacid (15mg twice a day) for reflux. He's had several tests done for it. We have tried to take him off or decrease his dose a few times and he always has symptoms and gets sick (lungs) because of it. The Saturday before Thanksgiving we were out late at night and he fell asleep in the car on the way home and we put him in his crib when we got home, forgetting his medication. Monday afternoon he started getting sick and by Tuesday he had croup again. We tried to hold off on giving him steroids to get over it, as he had steroids last month for croup, but by Friday morning he was struggling so we started him on it. He then got a really bad sinus infection and was put on antibiotics (I try to avoid them, but he was really bad this time). His Dr is concerned he's getting sick each month, presumably from reflux, and wants us to go dairy-free for 2 months and see if that helps the reflux.

I'm glad you called your Dr and got him back on the medication. Reflux untreated can cause some serious damage to the esophagus and oral aversions, as I'm sure you know.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

We tried to wean off the morning dose this past week...tonight she has croup She's miserable and I have a feeling we're going to progress to sinusitis and bronchitis if we don't go on the steroids.

Beth, I'm glad you're getting his reflux taken care of and that it's easily controlled with the zantac.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Poor Joey. I hope she feels better.

Last night was rough, but he seems better today, so I'm hoping for a good night tonight. Hopefully it's a sign the meds are working. I know Zantac doesn't work for a lot of babies, but I guess his case is relatively mild.
    Beth