Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reflux after 1

Default Reflux after 1

Levi started Zantac when he was 2 months old due to painful reflux symptoms... Screaming, arching his back, churning and bubbling sounds, etc. After the meds he was a much happier baby. Under our docs advice at one year we stopped the meds. He seemed fine without them. He hasn't been sleeping well the last couple weeks, but he did have a tooth coming in so I attributed it to that. The tooth is through now and he just started today arching his back and screaming after my milk lets down. His symptoms are the same as they have been when he needed a dose up in his medicine because of his weight. We have called the ped and left a message and gave him a dose of the Zantac that we had left.

Anybody have experience with toddler reflux like this? Could his symptoms he something else we're not thinking of? He's otherwise healthy, no fevers or illnesses for the last few weeks.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Default Re: Reflux after 1

Anyone?
    Beth

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

My friend's son had really bad reflux and they had to keep him on Zantac until he was about three years old.

I hope your little guy feels better soon!
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

My friend's son is 2 years old and he's on Prilosec. I think @llli*Leslie's Joey is also on Prilosec.

Have you had any testing done? My friend's son has no or very weak muscles at the sphincter in his throat, so he is expected to be on the reflux meds for a long time - perhaps for life.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

yeah I would think it would be wise to call the doctor like you did..

Colby is on reflux meds and will be for a long time. Logan was also on past 1 but not too far past it. I think it depends on what is causing the reflux. C is an extreme case though and we're trying to figure out why his is still so bad. you just look at him wrong and he projectiles. Lol!

Don't forget with Zantac it takes several doses to see a difference.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

there a big list of things that might help here:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T106004.asp

Hi Beth, I just saw this. Sorry I didn't respond sooner.

I would absolutely ask about getting him back on the zantac. To be honest, zantac never worked for us. We had to use the big guns(prevacid and nexium). When we tried to wean Joey's dose lower or wean her completely...she turns in to a bear. It starts with her not wanting to eat much. Then she only wanted milk and yogurt or to nurse(all basic meals of course). Then her sleep got bad. And finally, she'd start coughing or get an ear/sinus infection. When she's on her meds, her appetite is good, she's happy and sleeping well, and is generally content.

Make sure they know his current weight so the dose is correct

ETA: Joey is 2.5yo and is on 60mg of prevacid a day. She is also an extreme case like Colby. She was nicknamed Linda Blair when she was in daycare She seriously gagged and choked on everything. For her, at this age, the only other option is a Nissen wrap/fundoplication surgery to tie the top of her stomach around her esophagus to keep her from refluxing. Uh, no thanks. We'll stick with prevacid for now
    Last edited by @llli*Leslie; December 1st, 2010 at 03:46 PM.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Well, we called the doctor and she said to put him back on the Zantac. It always worked for him, so I'm hoping it will still work.

I feel really bad about not realizing that was the problem. He hasn't been sleeping well, wants to nurse constantly, and I've been a zombie at work. It never even occurred to me that it could be the reflux until the arching his back and screaming when he's nursing. I think it has gotten gradually worse over the last few weeks and I didn't notice until the screaming. He is also really raspy with his breathing right now as I am holding him. Poor baby.
    Beth

Another question... What are the CAUSES of reflux? I understand only a little bit about the sphincter muscle not being strong enough in some babies, but what else? We haven't had any testing done and we don't know the reason. He was just a really "colicky" baby and after getting my OALD/OS as under control as I could get it, he was still unhappy so we put him on Zantac and he was a much happier baby. We've never had any testing done or anything like that. I don't think his case is really severe, especially since it took a few weeks of being off the meds for his symptoms to really return.
    Beth