Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby likes to "snack" for 3 minutes at a time

Unhappy Baby likes to "snack" for 3 minutes at a time

I have 4 week old twin boys. They have been pretty good about getting on a schedule as far as feeding when one or the other is hungry. However today one of the boys has been snacking all day. By snacking I mean he is on the breast for about 3 minutes, pulls away, lays with me for a bit and then wants to eat again. Each time I go to put him down he wakes up and cries. He can't be soothed unless I put him to the breast. Now this wouldn't be such a problem if he was the only baby I was nursing, but that's not the case.

So my question, can anyone tell me if this is typical behavior? Is this just a short term demand? I'm just exhausted and need to know if this is going to be an ongoing demand.

Thank you!

Default Re: Baby likes to "snack" for 3 minutes at a time

It's normal. I know you're tired!
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/frequent-nursing.html

As you read there, this sort of thing usually calms down at 6 to 8 weeks, and may be due to other reasons than simple hunger--needing to be close.

Have you tried nursing with a baby sling?

Mothers in Mali were found to nurse every 14 minutes. My DD nursed twice an hour even after 6 months.

The word 'schedule' caught my eye, do you mean your boys seem to be finding a routine? Because rigid parent-driven scheduling rather than following the baby's cues has caused problems in bfing relationships.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Hey thanks for the link and letting me know this is normal. ;-)

I don't have the boys on a strict schedule, but whenever 1 of them wants to eat I usually try to wake the other one and feed them together. I do make sure I do at least 1 singleton feed a day just to have alone time, but I really thinking keeping them eating together is helping to keep me sane and semi-rested. ;-)

Sounds like a growth spurt. Typically they can last 3 days. Have you tried breast compressions and/or switch nursing to help him get a fuller feeding?

I would also suggest giving swaddling a try, it was a lifesaver for me when DS was little, kept him from startling himself awake. You can use a sheet or they also have swaddle-wraps with velcro.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.