Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Congested / Cold / Sick Newborn help

Default Congested / Cold / Sick Newborn help

I have a 6 week old and a 4 yr old daughter.

I am nursing 100% and all seems fine however.

I woke up with a HORRIBLE sore throat, cough and miserably congested. I am HORRIFIED thinking of the baby getting sick.

What do I do? Should I stop breastfeeding and pump and use the bottle?
    I wear her - Should I stop because I'm frightened I will cough and lets be honest - I will eventually end up coughing on her.

I am so worried....

What steps do I take before she gets sick... but I have a feeling there is no way around her getting sick so what do I do once she's sick.

Do newborns even get sick? ...

Default Re: Congested / Cold / Sick Newborn help

awe I bet she will not get sick.

keep nursing its the best thing for her.

wash your hands often...

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-illness.html

The best thing you can do for your baby when you're sick is to continue to breastfeed. When you have a contagious illness such as a cold, flu, or other mild virus, your baby was exposed to the illness before you even knew you were sick. Your milk will not transmit your illness to baby, but it does have antibodies in it that are specific to your illness (plus anything else you or baby have been exposed to) - they'll help prevent baby from getting sick, or if he does get sick, he'll probably not be as sick as you

Keep nursing. Your body started making antibodies against the cold you have as soon as you were exposed. Now those antibodies are being passed along to your daughter through your breastmilk so she is protected against your illness. That doesn't guarantee she won't get it, but it does keep her more protected than she would be if she were not nursing. Just make sure you are drinking plenty of water and avoid taking decongestants because they can dry up your milk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

and take care of yourself...
    lots of rest let the house go!

Call in favors for dinner or ask for help with your 4 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Keep nursing. Your body started making antibodies against the cold you have as soon as you were exposed. Now those antibodies are being passed along to your daughter through your breastmilk so she is protected against your illness. That doesn't guarantee she won't get it, but it does keep her more protected than she would be if she were not nursing. Just make sure you are drinking plenty of water and avoid taking decongestants because they can dry up your milk.
    Do not stop nursing! Feel better.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    If you stop nursing now, all you do is deny your baby those antibodies while continuing to risk infecting her via the usual pathways: a sneeze, a cough, an incompletely washed hand... I don;t think it's possible to prevent exposure while caring for a baby. Just have faith in the amazing powers of mama's milk, wash your hands, and keep yourself well.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"