Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: donating milk - implications for weaning and oversupply?

Default donating milk - implications for weaning and oversupply?

Hi all, I have a lot of oversupply and have started looking into the idea of donating milk since it seems like a waste to throw the excess away (i have to manually express and massage breasts before feeding several times a day so baby can latch on and drink well).

I am going back to work in 5 months though so I have two worries:

- work related, my worry is that weaning will be even more difficult since I will have extra production established by then that I need to cut down. My work day will be pretty much 12hour days or so, so I will have to wean all the feeds bare one

- oversupply related, I am worried the extra pumping will exacerbate my oversupply problem? if I now pump the engorged breasts in the morning, what if they become even more engorged? will it make my problem worse?

Default Re: donating milk - implications for weaning and oversupply?

You are making the oversupply problem worse by pumping, that is true. I would try to back off of that. Have you tried block feeding to get your oversupply under control?

How old is your baby? How old will your baby be when you go back to work? Why can't you just pump at work?

ETA: Also, why are you throwing the milk away? You could freeze it to use for your baby when you go back to work. Maybe I'm not understanding something.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

with the PP. I'd work on managing the oversupply and storing your extra milk before I'd start donating or dumping!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No need to wean just because you go back to work. Even if you can only manage one or two pumping sessions at work, you can continue to breastfeed when you're together and may need to only supplement a bit with formula while baby is at daycare.

I'd be stashing extra milk in the freezer to use when you go back to work, instead of formula

Also, why are you manually expressing before feeding baby? If it's to allow baby to latch onto an engorged breast, you may have better luck with reverse pressure softening http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...cotterman.html There are also videos out there if you google.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

hi - thanks for your comments - looks like i cut the story too short earlier...
    i am actually not manually expressing at the moment but doing that reverse pressure softening as you suggest. but bc i am so engorged in the morning even this expresses a lot, i guess just from the reverse pressure softening 20ml or so flow out of each breast. if i don't do this, letdown hurts and she has problems latching on, with this it works quite well. i am "throwing it away" in the sense that i just do the reverse pressure softening over the sink in the bathroom before feeding her, don't want to wash bottles etc for that small amount. also, it is just foremilk which she probably gets enough off, so i don't see much point in keeping it.

i am also block feeding already, so this has also helped a lot. i still have oversupply though, so i was wondering if i could do something more useful with the oversupply.

as you all say, another option is to just freeze milk and use it for when i go back to work. thing is i am only going back to work in 5 months and i read one should only store frozen breast milk for 6 months or so, so I am thinking of building up the pile starting january.

so at the moment i am not pumping, i was just thinking of starting to do it for a few months to donate and later for a few months to save for when i go back to work so baby can have good milk during the day in the nursery.

or would u advise just to keep block feeding/reverse pressure softening and wait for supply to manage itself? baby is only 7 weeks old so it could also be that the oversupply problem diminishes by itself over the next weeks?

Just to weigh in on one thing you said. BM can be frozen in the freezer of a fridge for about 4 months but if you have a deep freezer or stand alone freezer it's still good for up to a year.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

ok, good point, i guess i have to understand if i have a deep freezer or a freezer... am not sure what the difference is. how do you tell? mine is called a freezer but i am not sure if it is a deep freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sanam2010 View Post
    ok, good point, i guess i have to understand if i have a deep freezer or a freezer... am not sure what the difference is. how do you tell? mine is called a freezer but i am not sure if it is a deep freezer.
    is it connected to the fridge or a stand alone?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

If you have a stand alone freezer, I think that is a deep freezer.

I had oversupply and I can't really remember when it regulated. It was not for a long time... and what you are doing is exactly right. I didn't understand what you meant earlier.

I'm not sure I would pump yet in your situation, unless you want to do it once a day to try and get your baby used to the bottle.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

it's connected to the fridge so it looks like it is just a freezer and i will have to wait before i build up supplies.

mommy2lilah - sad to hear it took a long time for you to adjust! i am really tired of this engorgement and waking up in drenched bedsheets. i am wearing breast shells during the day and it is ridiculous the amount that just leaks (another amount that i have to throw away).

maybe i wait another month or so to see if it gets better. i have no interest in getting my baby used to the bottle, she seems too young and the few times we tried it (we thought it would be nice for me to relax and hubbie to feed her), we ended up having problems like baby spitting all out, having problem sleeping bc she drank too fast etc, so we stopped bottle feeding completely for now...

so what did you do? how long did it take to get better?