Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 24/7 mom

Default 24/7 mom

Hi, my son is 7 weeks today and he nurses a LOT. He`s been this way since week 2. He nurses non stop when he is awake. At times he gets tired, falls asleep at the breast, and sleeps well in my lap. As soon as I put him down, he wakes up and wants to nurse again. I don`t think it`s a supply issue, b/c even though I don`t leak, there seems to be enough milk for him. He is gaining well also. At night he sleeps with me and nurses every 3 hours or so. During the day, he does not like side-lying nursing though.
    I know this behavior is normal in the early weeks, but isn`t this a little late now? Any suggestions?

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Default Re: 24/7 mom

Have you tried to swaddle him before nursing? I only use the swaddle at her evening nursing, snd she sleeps usually from 10 unil 3am (sometimes its 2, sometimes its 4). It is her longest stretch, and I think its because she is swaddled tightly. Also, when my little one would do this, I pumped a small bottle (about an ounce or two) and gave it to her while she was in her crib on the incline pillow sleep positioner. She dozed off in there taking the EBM and stayed asleep, I also did this during the night feeding. I stopped once my milk came in very well (at 8 weeks) and she was able to get really full from my breast alone. It was the only bottle i gave her. I don't know if this is your problem, but these things helped correct your exact behavior in my daughter.
    Good luck!
    Michelle

So how often exactly are you nursing? My dd nursed around the clock for the first 3-4 weeks. Started sleeping in chunks through the night around 4-6 weeks but continued to nurse constantly througout the day (every 45 min- 1 1/2 hrs depending. I guess I just got used to it...plus she was sleeping through the night so I could handle it more. She is now 3 mos and has just now started going longer between feedings. It is kind of freaking me out sometimes and I am always making her mad trying to feed her...Anyway, all this to say that she was growing a TON and I think that she just needed to eat eat eat. I am assuming that now she has slowed down because her growing has slowed down a bit. Your little guy is eating as he needs- really only he knows how much he needs. It is rough on mom though! What helped me was to kind of throw my expectations and comparisons to other people out the window and just nurse as needed. We got into a routine and I was more relaxed and it all just became more enjoyable. Hang in there!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Your baby's behavior is still perfectly normal at that age. While many babies do start to go longer between feedings, many continue to nurse VERY frequently. Many moms find it helpful to set up a "nursing station" when baby wants to nurse constantly and sleep in mom's lap during the day. They get a comfortable chair and put snacks, books, TV remote, or whatever else they might need within reach. It definitely can be hard on mom when baby needs so much time and attention. I remember feeling like I was never going to have any time to myself ever again. Soon, though, you baby will likely become more interested in the world around him and in activities other than nursing. Will your baby fall asleep in the car? I found it helpful to try to get out of the house a bit, even if just for a drive in the car.

Thank you all for your support. It is good to hear that his behavior is normal. He is growing well and that`s all I should care about, but I always worry.
    I have yet another question. Last night DS cried so much, so I gave him some EBM and as soon as he ate it he calmed down and fell asleep. I know that milk supply is lower in the evenings and my supply is a little on the low side anyway. But is there anything I can do to help that? I tried pumping but my pump is broken and I am terrible at hand expressing
    Thanks in advance
    Peace

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

how are his wet diapars?
    and poops thats the way to know if the baby is getting the milk they need.
    Sometimes they will have days when they nurse more.
    And hes still very little and gettting your milk supply were it needs to be.
    One of mine nursed every 2 hours untill they were about 6-7 months old.
    Fussy babys are normal too, sometimes its hard to get anything done exect nurse the baby. Do you have a sling? That saved me with my last baby.
    She loved to be carried and hardly even cried! She would take a longer nap in the sling also then if I tried to lay her down when she wasn't alseep enough.
    Your still getting to know each other also. IT takes a long time but you'll get to know your baby. One day it will all just click and you'll know what to do to get them to stop crying.
    good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by foreverhomeless View Post
    Thank you all for your support. It is good to hear that his behavior is normal. He is growing well and that`s all I should care about, but I always worry.
    I have yet another question. Last night DS cried so much, so I gave him some EBM and as soon as he ate it he calmed down and fell asleep. I know that milk supply is lower in the evenings and my supply is a little on the low side anyway. But is there anything I can do to help that? I tried pumping but my pump is broken and I am terrible at hand expressing
    Thanks in advance
    Peace
    For quite awhile, my dd was nursing like crazy right before she would lay down and sleep for the night. Around 4 weeks, she started sleeping from 4-6 hours but she would nurse constantly for about the same amount of time before going to sleep. I would often give her a bottle of EBM at these times. Many times I just needed a break, but mostly I worried that there was nothing coming out at these times because she was nursing so much. But I followed the advice on these forums and starting letting her nurse as long as she needed. It still made me really crazy at times but I did it and before long she was sleeping longer and longer at night. Your LO will most likely take the bottle whether he is hungry or not. I also figure that when allowed to nurse so much, they are definitely getting all the hind milk and it will help them last a little longer once they finally do go to sleep. Just my opinion, but I would give up the temptation of the bottle right now and let him keep nursing. Your supply will increase as needed and he might even start lasting a little longer between feedings. If you are concerned about your milk supply, all the more reason to keep nursing because it is the best way to increase it. Pumping does not always work as well as the real thing. Keep up the great work! Remember, it will get better.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Thank you for the encouragement. I will keep feeding him on demand. It does seem like my supply is increasing (evenings are not so hard any more).

Mommy to a busy toddler

Jim Elliot