Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One side hurts, the other is OK...

Default One side hurts, the other is OK...

Hello! LO is 12 days old. We had a rough start to nursing, but my nipples are now healed (they were cracked/bleeding) and I feel like our latch us really good.

The only problem is that my right breast/nipple still HURTS when she latches and continues to hurt as she nurses. My left side is fine - no pain and she could nurse for hours and I wouldn't care. However, my right side's pain is pretty bad with the intial latch and the ongoing pain is pretty annoying.

We've been working hard on her latch and I don't see that I'm doing anything differently with the right side than the left. I use the football hold as we haven't gotten the cradle hold down enough to get a good latch. If there is any pain, I break her latch and we try again - but no matter how many times I do this on the right it still HURTS.

Any thoughts on why it would hurt on one side but not the other? I don't see any signs of an infection..but maybe I don't know what to look for?

Default Re: One side hurts, the other is OK...

awe sometimes it can take a while for cracks to heal

heres a great page on how to treat cracks
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

from that link

Contact your health care provider if you notice:
    Fever, inflammation/redness, swelling, oozing, pus, or other signs of infection. It is possible to have multiple infections (both fungal and bacterial).

If the nipple is obviously infected, then talk to your health care provider about the possibility of using an oral (systemic) antibiotic. One study indicated that topical antibiotics and good breastfeeding techniques might not be sufficient if infection is present. (See Livingstone V, Stringer LJ. The treatment of Staphyloccocus aureus infected sore nipples: a randomized comparative study. J Hum Lact. 1999 Sep;15(3):241-6.) See also Oral antibiotic use for sore, cracked nipples

It could be that you have a shorter or flatter nipple on the right than on the left, or more engorgement on the right. Both would be preventing optimal latching. You might also have a faster letdown on that side, which could cause baby to use a more painful latch in order to control the flow.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm having the same problem...I know we were latching incorrectly, and after 2 meetings with 2 different board-certified LCs, I feel fairly confident we've corrected that problem. However, both nipples are still cracked and open - but it only hurts when DS feeds on the right side. Don't know what's going on...so I don't have any advice...but just wanted to say that I know what you're going through - and if you find anything out - please post it!

12 days is still pretty young. My nipple pain didnt really improve dramtically until about 3-4 weeks - and the left side took the longest. My left is still more tender sometimes then the other and we still work hard to get a good latch every time. I think it takes time for your LO to learn the skill of BF, plus their mouth will get bigger with age which really helped us.

I wouldnt take any medication unless you/your doctor are absolutley sure you have an infection.

Keep going! You are doing great!
    I'm a proud first time mommy , born 10/19/2010 and a wife to an amazing husband

Birth 10/19/2010: 7lbs 3oz
    3 days old 10/22: 6lbs 6oz
    2 1/2 weeks old 11/05: 6lbs 14oz
    4 weeks old 11/17: 7lbs 15oz
    8 weeks old 12/15: 10lbs
    4 months old 2/28: 14lbs

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jennygal View Post
    I'm having the same problem...I know we were latching incorrectly, and after 2 meetings with 2 different board-certified LCs, I feel fairly confident we've corrected that problem. However, both nipples are still cracked and open - but it only hurts when DS feeds on the right side. Don't know what's going on...so I don't have any advice...but just wanted to say that I know what you're going through - and if you find anything out - please post it!
    Jenny - what helped heal the cracks and bleeding was expressing some of my breastmilk after feeding on my nipple and letting it dry. Within a day or so they started to heal (even while still breastfeeding) and within 2 days they were totally healed! I would try that if your nipples are still not healed.

Hello - thanks for all the advice. I wanted to give a quick update and one more question.

The right side still hurts when she latches/feeds but it isn't getting worse, which is good. However, last night and today I've noticed that the middle of my nipple is turning white. It wasn't apparent until I took a shower this morning and it became really white. Just a little bit on the tip of the nipple, not the entire thing. Is that cause for concern? I didn't see anything about white nipples on the KellyMom page.

Otherwise, I'm either getting used to the pain or it is getting better because it's more annoying than anything... so I'm OK sticking it out a while yet (baby is now 18 days old and we are getting better at BFing every day...). Just thought I'd ask about the white spot. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Trafty024 View Post
    Hello - thanks for all the advice. I wanted to give a quick update and one more question.

The right side still hurts when she latches/feeds but it isn't getting worse, which is good. However, last night and today I've noticed that the middle of my nipple is turning white. It wasn't apparent until I took a shower this morning and it became really white. Just a little bit on the tip of the nipple, not the entire thing. Is that cause for concern? I didn't see anything about white nipples on the KellyMom page.

Otherwise, I'm either getting used to the pain or it is getting better because it's more annoying than anything... so I'm OK sticking it out a while yet (baby is now 18 days old and we are getting better at BFing every day...). Just thought I'd ask about the white spot. Thanks!!
    I had this problem very recently and it turn out I had the beginnings of Thrush on the one side. It didn't have any systems, nor did my daughter, other than that white tip on the nipple.

To treat it, I applied anti-fungul cream (the kind for athletes foot) two to four times daily for two weeks - after feedings - at the advise of a lactation consultant.

The pain was significantly improved after 4 days.

I was told that even if there is a possibility that thrush is not the problem, it is not harmful to go ahead and treat it to rule out the problem.

The whole time I had pain I was blaming our poor latch, or thought my daughter was biting, but that was not it at all!
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wilsonduo97 View Post
    To treat it, I applied anti-fungul cream (the kind for athletes foot) two to four times daily for two weeks - after feedings - at the advise of a lactation consultant.
    Thanks! Is this harmful to baby at all? Did you wash off before feeding again?
    Currently breastfeeding DD#2 - born Nov 19, 2010.

You should also be able to get a prescription for Nystatin cream - which isn't harmful to baby at all - actually my OB told me it might help prevent baby from getting thrush.