Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To pump or not to pump

Question To pump or not to pump

That is my question! Is it possible, has anybody ever kept a good supply..not pumping at work and only bfing at from late afternoon on until the wee hours of the morning? I work 40 hours a week, mon-fri, from 7 am to 3 pm. I'm a front office manager at a hotel, and most of the time I'm up here alone. Honestly, and I feel terrible for this, I'm lucky if i get to pump once a day. My DS is stuck at daycare with yucky formula. Now its not that my job WONT let me pump, its just difficult to coordinate with other employees. (becasue somebody ALWAYS has to be at the front desk)

So my actual question is.. Can I pump only once a day and still keep a supply for my DS?

Default Re: To pump or not to pump

how old is your baby?

I guess that would be good info huh! lol he is 9 weeks already!

9 weeks pretty young yet...

figure out how to get a break,
    you'll feal more comfortable and you'll get more milk to send to day care that way..
    at that age if I didn't nurse every 3 hours I would have been very uncomfortable.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/b...s-pumping.html

this is a good link too:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-partial.html

Is it not "normal" to not get full at this point?? Ive gone a full shift, 8 hours, with out pumping or nursing and still not even leak. I know he's getting enough while nursing, hes gaining weight and thriving. And i do get on average 7 oz if i pump twice during the day. Come to think of it, i never even felt full the first few weeks after he was born. at least i know he's healthy!!
    I'm going to talk to my co-worker today about covering. I should be able to pump at least once a day I think!

Mama, if you can pump, I would do it. It's not that your plan is totally unfeasible- check out that second link from Andrea on combination feeding/partial weaning!- just that for a lot of moms, continuing to breastfeed is going to be a lot easier if they do some pumping during the day. Pump weaning is something that's less likely to impact your supply if you do it later on in your baby's 1st year. 9 weeks is still so early!

When you're working, could you potentially pump at your desk? If you had a nice big cape or poncho, that is? Like, could you see people coming a ways away and have time to put everything under your desk?

It sounds like one of your challenges is finding someone to cover for you. And I have no doubt that's really challenging, especially if you have to find a different person every day! But what if you could find 1 person who could cover for you at the same time every day?

I don't want my post to come across as "Hey, pumping is easy, just make it happen!" because obviously I'm sitting here behind a computer screen, not in the office with you, experiencing your unique situation.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

another day without pumping.. my GM had to cover the night shift last night, and left when i got here at 7. .This sucks. I only have 7oz frozen left. Im getting sick, i just got my period, and i'm extremely tired. DS was up every 45 min last night, and i dont understand why. I'm ready to give in and give up. I'm beyond frustrated here.

awe I always had bleeding around that time, and then no more for many months after that.
    sometimes they will reverce cycle when mom is away during the day.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

don't give up.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    awe I always had bleeding around that time, and then no more for many months after that.
    sometimes they will reverce cycle when mom is away during the day.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

don't give up.
    with Andrea on the reverse cycling. It's so normal for a baby to want to reconnect with mama by nursing all night...

Hang in there!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hang in there! You are doing such wonderful things for your LO!

Reverse cycling is so normal - all 3 of mine have reversed cycled to different degrees.

If at all possible I would also totally try to work in at least one pumping session. Over time, I would think you body would definently start decreasing production. From what I understand - the more you take out the more you make. THe less you take out - the less you make.