Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 11-month old suddenly only wants to nurse

Default 11-month old suddenly only wants to nurse

Z's interest in nursing picked way up a few weeks ago, and at first i just assumed it was a growth spurt or a cold or something that would last a few days, but it's only gotten worse.

He won't eat solids at home now. He'll play happily with his dad, but if he sees me, he crawls over and starts tearing at my shirt. He doesn't want to play with me, or even snuggle. If i'm nearby, he wants to nurse, and usually rather roughly with little actual eating.

He doesn't sleep through the night anymore either. He wakes up around midnight and wants to nurse constantly until about 3, then about every hour after that.

He still eats food at day care, his diapers are normal, he's got a slight cold but is otherwise healthy.

What do i do? I'm going bonkers.

Default Re: 11-month old suddenly only wants to nurse

teething? developmental milestones like walking? reconnecting with you if you're away from him for your job?

all of this sounds pretty normal, honestly. you can start to enforce some nursing etiquette (like around not nursing roughly), but lots of night nursing, little food at home, not sttn, etc all sound like typical patterns. frustrating but normal
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Very normal. And also temporary. I noticed distinct upticks in my daughters' nursing as they gained mobility and independence. It was like nursing was their way of reassuring themselves that I was still there, no matter how far they toddled. The upticks drove me bonkers, but they didn't last that long.

Does your baby make a beeline for you the moment you get home from work? If so, it might help to transfer him to dad's care for a few minutes. Have dad take him outside, or somewhere out of sight, so that you can take a quick shower, regroup, have a quick snack- whatever it takes to transition you from work mode to mommy mode.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sounds about right! My 11 month old is nursing approximately every ten minutes at the moment! Play, nurse. Attempt to walk, nurse. Attempt to walk away WITH my breast...and so on. Every single time my daughter is working on a new skill, the nursing requests explode upward.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!