Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lots of problems, trying hard to keep going

Default Lots of problems, trying hard to keep going

I have a one month old, and we have had problems from the get go with breastfeeding. This is going to be a long post, so I will put my biggest issue at the beginning. We haven't had the greatest latch, however I feel like on one side it has been getting better, but my DD has been eating very frequently, when I am full I can hear her swallowing and sucking in the good breathe suck swallow pattern, but this only lasts for about 6-8 minutes on either side, she then starts to just kind of suck without swallowing, is this doing anything for my milk supply, or is that an indication that the flow is slow. I am especially curious about this because she could drink for around 8 minutes on each side and then just start nibbling (sort of using me like a pacifier) so I will pull her off and while she seems sleepy she will only sleep for a few minutes and then want to eat again. So I put her back on but she will go straight back to nibbling or sucking without swallowing. The drinking/swallowing is not painful, but the sucking and nibbling is, is this possibly a latch problem, and therefore a slow flow problem as well? I have been worried that since she wasn't latching on the greatest that my milk supply was low, so I usually pump 10-15 minutes after every feeding. Usually at night because my production is a little higher she will be content after around 30 minutes of feeding and will fall back asleep, but during the day she will follow the pattern of drinking for a little while then acting like she is done by just nibbling on me, sometimes this leads to a short nap, most times this just leads to a few minutes of sleeping and then more hunger cues, and occassionally she will not cue me that she is still hungry but she will just remain awake and alert. I am just very very confused. Any help will be much appreciated.

Next issue real quick is that I have been battling a yeast infection as well as a bacterial infection on my breasts. I am using Dr. Newman's protocal, which hasn't quite kicked into gear yet, hopefully it will soon, I think my DD nibbling isn't helping the situation. Anyway a few days ago I noticed some red bumps forming above each breasts in a ring a form, from directly above my nipple (on the skin about 1.5 inches up) to down by my armpit (about 2.5 inches in length total). It is on both sides and getting increasingly more red. The only thing that is common on both sides is that I have been doing compressions to get the flow going and that is usually where my thumb is, in different positions, but I didn't know if it could be associated with the yeast because they are small red bumps.

Okay, I know this is a long post, so thank you so much for any help. I really really want to stick with it, but I can't seem to get the hang of it, and problems just keep arising. Thanks again!

Default Re: Lots of problems, trying hard to keep going

Hi mama

I don't have answers for all of your questions, but nothing beats hands-on help! Can you make an appt with a LC, preferably an international board-certified one (IBCLC)? The bumps you describe have me baffled.

It's normal for newborns to be sleepy, and what you're describing sounds like baby instinctively nursing to sleep. Babies drift off as milk flow slows, and it's pure heaven to them to suckle to sleep on mama. The stimulation is also good for bumping up your milk production and helping your body recover from pregnancy. It's fine to unlatch LO with a finger as she drifts into dreamland. It's totally normal to want to connect and then disconnect over and over all day and all night. Not so long ago baby was connected to you physically 100% of the time and had food flowing in around the clock. They also nurse for comfort. My daughter nursed twice an hour well past 6 months, it's just her temperment.
    Last edited by @llli*bxlgirl; November 30th, 2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: typo
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?