Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Second Nursing Strike - Need to Move On...

Default Re: Second Nursing Strike - Need to Move On...

It is interesting that you stopped offering when the 10 month old striked. I guess I shouldn't try for awhile either. I have been trying just a few times a day and getting pushed away. I usually try once when he is drowsy and once when he is actually asleep (in the evening). He pushes me away in his sleep, which amazes me. He is still barely taking in any liquids and barely peeing. He is hitting the bare minimum of liquids per day, but eating foods well.
    I appreciate all of you "feeling" my pain with me. I am just so sad. I wish he would let me just cuddle him, but he won't. The cuddle time I had was through nursing him, and he seemed to really enjoy it. He would play with my earring, my hair, and sometimes I would gently tease him and he would smile a lot while nursing. All of those times are gone, and I miss them like crazy. I wonder how long this mourning period will last. I don't know how my husband will feel about rerenting the pump, because it is 50 dollars per month, and we are very tight financially right now. He hasn't nursed even once for seven whole days now and is adamant about not wanting to.
    Thanks again for all of your responses. I can only do so much, and he seems to not miss nursing at all, which breaks my heart even more.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*runcmt View Post
    It is interesting that you stopped offering when the 10 month old striked. I guess I shouldn't try for awhile either. I have been trying just a few times a day and getting pushed away. I usually try once when he is drowsy and once when he is actually asleep (in the evening). He pushes me away in his sleep, which amazes me. He is still barely taking in any liquids and barely peeing. He is hitting the bare minimum of liquids per day, but eating foods well.
    I appreciate all of you "feeling" my pain with me. I am just so sad. I wish he would let me just cuddle him, but he won't. The cuddle time I had was through nursing him, and he seemed to really enjoy it. He would play with my earring, my hair, and sometimes I would gently tease him and he would smile a lot while nursing. All of those times are gone, and I miss them like crazy. I wonder how long this mourning period will last. I don't know how my husband will feel about rerenting the pump, because it is 50 dollars per month, and we are very tight financially right now. He hasn't nursed even once for seven whole days now and is adamant about not wanting to.
    Thanks again for all of your responses. I can only do so much, and he seems to not miss nursing at all, which breaks my heart even more.
    Hi there, I just read through your story and I have to say how sorry I am you went through that (I see that was back in November). I am currently going through the exact same situation and I am wondering how it turned out for you, being that it is now February?

My daughter is 11 months old and just suddenly stopped nursing. She was exclusively breast fed her whole life (no formula) and we enjoyed a very happy nursing relationship. She also went through taking in almost no fluids, to the point that I took her to the doctor. I was told she had thrush and I have been treating that everyday for 5 days now. She is slowly starting to take more liquids again, but still isn't too keen on it. Everytime she gets acting like it is time for milk, I dread it because I know it will lead to a melt down. I don't offer the breast more than once or twice per day, but even just giving her the milk in a sippy cup sets her off. It is almost like she doesn't like my milk anymore.

I am so broken up about it. I absolutely am depressed and feel like someone has passed away. Nursing my baby girl was one of my favourite things to do and I am devestated that it stopped so suddenly. I feel so rejected and I feel like it is driving a wedge between us. I am trying so hard to not show her how I feel, but I can't do it because I am so down and so hurt. I cry all the time and I am having problems sleeping and my stomach hurts because I want her back to nursing again so bad.

I am pumping, but it is incredibly time consuming so we'll see how long I can keep up with this. We are on day 6 of the nursing strike now.

I'd love to hear how things turned out for you.....

@alaynasmom

I am currently on week 6 of our nursing strike with no end in sight. I've been renting a pump and it is costing me almost double what you are paying as I am in the UK. I just wanted to say that I can sympathise with you completely as I am in the exact same place as you.

DD's strike began due to a pregnancy hiccup (I miscarried) and my milk changed. She knew before I did, and it was then that she decided she had had enough. She is very strong willed and won't take a bottle with my milk in it.. and since she needs fluid I have had to put her on formula (much to my dislike). She is a huge eater.. Loves mummy and daddy food. She'd eat it all day long if I let her. I think that may have an impact on why she isn't so eager to get back to the breast.

The problem we're battling at the moment is that she will come to my breast.. she'll lie nice and still.. but she won't SUCK! She just lies there with her mouth over my nipple and stares at me as if to say, "Well then, squeeze the bottle!" It's very frustrating, very disheartening and I do feel like she's given up on me. BUT.

I wanted to say.. It gets easier to deal with. The first few days are the worst. I stressed and stressed, cried more tears than I care to admit, holed myself and DD up in our room for a few days.. You name it. Six weeks later though I have reached the point where I will offer her my breast and let her play with it.. but if she is really really hungry and fussy, I'll just give her the bottle. At least I know she's getting the liquids she needs. I'm still pumping though and (she doesn't know!) am mixing my milk with her formula.

Keep your chin up, Mummy. You can survive this. Most strikes don't last very long and if they do, they're not forever.

Also, have a look at the wonderful advice on here about Thrush. It helped DD and I tremendously!

Last edited by @llli*bbmomma; February 11th, 2011 at 06:18 AM.

Jarred - 12/June/2007 - BF for 3 months - stopped due to medical reasons
    Lilly - 4/May/2010 BF for 8 months - On strike between 1/1/2011 - 29/3/2011 - That's 12 Weeks and 3 days!! It is FINALLY over!
    Together we battle with Cows milk, nuts and soya allergies, but we're making it!
    We , , and too, but we're having problems..
    EPING for 3 months and counting!!

Hi, thank-you so much for your reply. I am sorry to hear that you are still on a nursing strike, 6 weeks later, but it is wonderful you haven't given up. I admire you for that.

My DD is still on her nursing strike . The thrush is slowly getting better, but not totally gone. She still resists liquids at times throughout the day, especially in the mornings (when I would think she would be most hungry). I have been giving her milk in a sippy cup (for fear of her liking bottles better than the breast) and it has been touch and go if she will drink it. She takes small sips here and there and often spits it out.

I have not been trying her at the breast for a day and a half. I almost feel that if I can just get a positive association again with lying down, facing me, and having milk (I allowed 1 bottle today), then maybe she will eventually forget the discomfort and remember the bond we used to share. She naturally LOVED having the bottle today and actually took down 7 oz of milk in one feed without stopping... normally I am lucky to get 1-2 oz down with the sippy cup at a time. I think she is trying to tell me she wants the bottle.

She is also fighting a second cold now that has her nose all stuffy, which also doesn't help any of this. I sure hope things will turn around for her health. I also want to try and hold on to hope that she will return to breastfeeding, but being rejected so many times in a row is very discouraging, especially because she is so head strong that I think she will be one of the few babies that don't return to breast feeding. However, she does seem distressed about the situation, so that is good in the sense that she hasn't totally moved on and does seem to notice the difference.

Thanks again for your response, it feels good to know how others have coped through this rough time.

Have you tried taking a warm bath with him and nursing him?

Continue offering. Sometimes they will nurse again on and off, and weeks later start again, you never know.

My heart goes out to you. I know exactly how you feel.

I might also start to pump, getting as much breastmilk stored as you can now... that way you can mix it into things for him and that may help you feel better that he is continuing to get nutritional benefits...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*melanie.rice View Post
    Have you tried taking a warm bath with him and nursing him?

Continue offering. Sometimes they will nurse again on and off, and weeks later start again, you never know.

My heart goes out to you. I know exactly how you feel.

I might also start to pump, getting as much breastmilk stored as you can now... that way you can mix it into things for him and that may help you feel better that he is continuing to get nutritional benefits...
    I am not sure if this response was meant for me or not. But yes, I have tried the bath, but she is 11 months old and she just wants to play, she isn't interested in cuddling much these days . I have also tried the sleep nursing, but even in her sleep, she moves her head away or wakes up annoyed and sits straight up and starts crying.

I am going to keep trying. It is too bad us mommas can't just KNOW they will return eventually, I think if I knew for sure she would eventually return, I could handle this... its the not knowing that is killing me because I can't grieve properly.

I am pumping lots of milk everyday and keep giving it to her in a sippy cup. I also read on here about a change in shampoo. I recently started using Nioxin for my thinning hair. I had read that Nioxin was okay to use while nursing/pregnant, but I was using it against my better judgement (I was desperate to not have such thin hair). I am stopping the use of that as of today and hope that maybe that was part of the problem - maybe it changed the taste of the milk?

Things that may have caused her strike:
    -Thrush - she definitely has
    -2 colds with stuffy noses back to back
    -Recently has become much more active and crawling/cruising on furniture all over the place (won't hold still)
    -Change in routine (visiting family from out of town at grandparent's house everyday for a week)

Here's to holding out hope that once she feels better, we get our routine back to normal (is now), and I stop using that shampoo that she will return back to the breast....