Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

View Poll Results: which form of feeding do you think would work best for my situation

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • exclusive breast feeding

9 81.82%
  • exclusive pump and bottle feed

0 0%
  • formula feeding

1 9.09%
  • combination feeding (formula and breast)

1 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single mom with 5 children seeking advice

Unhappy Single mom with 5 children seeking advice

Hi i'm a 28 yr old single mother of 5 beautiful little boys. my boys ages are 10, 6, 4, 4, and 3 weeks... i nursed my 6 yr old for 2 1/2 months, and my twins for 4 weeks.. and i am currently nursing my 3 week old. My boys are some what on the wild side... they aren't so bad when i'm up and around because i can get after them, how ever when i nurse the baby they seem to be more of a handful because they know i can't get up and get after them or that i don't want to put the baby in the middle of the action. i've become some what frustrated with the whole breast feeding experience in the past few days. Some issues i'm having with the experience are sore nipples, long feedings, the baby sleeps long periods, the other boys want to be right there asking all kinds of questions and looking and hanging on and around me. i've given the baby a few formula bottles because of the situation, and he has no problem with nipple confusion he latches fine for the most part and drinks from the bottle well too. when i latch him on now he tugs at my breast, and also gets choked up like i'm having an over active let down, i guess what i'm looking for is ideas to keep the other boys busy while i nurse, and ways to cope with their constant questions, as well as ways to help the baby nurse more effectively and efficiantly and make it a better overall experience for all of us... i've seriously considered pumping and feeding with a bottle although that means getting a pump i can't afford to get... and let me just add in here a hand pump is no good for me... i just don't have that kind of time... so if you have any suggestions or ideas i'm open to anything... thank you.

Default Re: Single mom with 5 children seeking advice

Buy or make a baby carrier that is easy to nurse in. I didn't baby wear much, but I know that some other mamas on here swear by it. A carrier will allow you to nurse while up and cleaning, playing with your boys, doing whatever you need to do. Will you boys sit down and let you read to them while you nurse? Or play a board game? Or with some toys in one area? Do you have any outside help? It doesn't matter how you feed your baby, it's going to be difficult at first. You could cause some serious damage to your supply if you feed bottles and aren't pumping. I do not suggest pumping exclusively. It is time consuming to pump, clean and feed. I have found that it is much easier and quick to feed from the breast. Before long, his nursing sessions will probably shorten and the length of time between nursing will likely increase. Don't be embarrassed or shy about explaining the nursing process to your children. It is important and beneficial for them to see and know what it's all about. If it gets old and you can't relax though, can your oldest child help distract the younger ones?
    How is the diaper output? How many wets and dirties each day? Explain what you mean by sore nipples. Slightly sore, extremely sore, red, blistered??

the baby carrier deffinately sounds like a good idea... now just to find one that fits our needs lol... than you for the ideas of things for the boys to do, reading a story, toys, cartoons, ect i'm sure will work... the shorter feedings and longer between would be a god send lol... as right now he falls asleep while eating and i have to take him off and see if he's done or just need to be woke up. diaper output is great... sounds like he's launching a rocket after or during every feeding... so it's great and plenty of wets and dirties... not worried there... as far as the nipple soreness right now they don't hurt as i have supplemented... but if i exclusively breast feed they are really sore not cracked or blistered just painful like i don't want to latch him on sore, sometimes the pain subsides with time into the feeding and other times it gets worse... i think and i'm pretty sure i'm having a latch issue and the fact that he pulls away from my nipple so i have to relatch him.

just thought of another question ... being that he is only going on 3 weeks should i have him on a 2 hour schedule and stick to that or is it better to let him eat when he tells me he's hungry... even at night.

Definitely feed him when he's hungry. It's the surest way to keep your supply in line with his demand.

Let him eat when he tells you. He knows when he is hungry. If he has gone a while between feedings, it isn't wrong or bad to offer the breast. He may take it, he may not. At night, if he will sleep don't wake him. Do you cosleep? If done safely it is effective at letting both of you get as much sleep as possible while allowing him to eat when he needs to.

I wore my baby girl in a moby(like thing) about 75% of our waking time for the first 3 months. My boy was only 17 months when she was born, so I did a lot of running around it was just like a piece of clothing for me. It means I didn't have to deal with a lot of the most difficult parts of newborn-ness including not being able to do anything during the marathon early nursing sessions, which will soon get shorter and further apart I swear.

Mobys can be made really easily and cheaply if that is a problem.

Pain that is worse during latching? Does it sound like thrush? If you are having latch issues call a IBCLC lactation consultant or a local LLL leader as hands on advice is definitely the best thing you can get.

Breastfeeding your baby is a great gift to them and is by far the easiest for both of you. I have both breast and bottle fed and even with the difficult start, breastfeeding is so much easier overall than bottlefeeding. Promise.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

i do co sleep with him sometimes, i'll put him up at the top of the bed where my head is so if i turn and bump him it wakes me... if he wakes and is hungry i latch him on and wake to a cold breast because he's spit it out then i put him back to the top of the bed (although my mom does not like that much at all it worries her but i've done it with all my little guys). i don't think the pain is thrush, as it has subsided for now... seems to me to be more of a latch issue as he is very frantic about latching on and getting him to calm down is not an easy chore especially when his hands get in the way lol...but i think with some patience, a consultant and time things will get better.

You can do this mama. You are working through the toughest part right now. You and your baby need a bit more time to figure each other out and then things will be so much easier. Trust me. Breastfeeding is so much better for your baby and then you don't have to worry about mixing up formula or washing and sanitizing bottle parts day after day. Plus, as I'm sure you know already, formula is expensive. Stick through this and you will be so much happier that you did. I strongly advise that you get in touch with a lactation consultant immediately to get the latch issues worked out. Breastfeeding shouldn't hurt, so fixing his latch should help tremendously. Good luck mama!
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

thank you all for your help advise and support.. i think this is exactly what i needed... i am curious though what all would i need to make a home made moby as my mom and i have become quite the suzie home makers lately and since we've made curtains and pillows and other things i think we could manage and it would be so much cheaper... how much fabric, what measurements ect... and then how do those things work... never used one but very interested and hoping it helps with a few issues.