Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When will I know if block feeding is working?

Default When will I know if block feeding is working?

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your advice and replies to my previous posts. I have been breastfeeding for almost four weeks now and my son is gaining over a pound a week! I am trying to correct my oversupply/overactive letdown issues and have been nursing on only one side for the past two weeks, but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I am planning to start block feeding for two hours at a time but I am wondering when I will know if it's working or when I should increase the blocks of time.

I am nervous about tinkering with my supply but I am so uncomfortable, especially in the mornings, that I need to try something else and this seems to be the next step. Advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Default Re: When will I know if block feeding is working?

You can probably start with 3 hour blocks. You can do this for a few days, then increase the block size to 4 hours, do this for a few days, and so on. You'll probably see results within the week.

It's totally possible to overdo the block-feeding, BTW, and end up with low supply, at least that's what happened to me. No worries, though, if this happens all you need to do is nurse more frequently and your supply will bounce back.

I struggled with oversupply for the first 3 months, then it magically went away and I didn't have to think about it anymore. Hoping the same for you.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

with the PP's excellent advice.

In my experience, you know block feeding is working when:
    1. the baby's poops are mostly yellow
    2. the baby isn't struggling with fast letdowns
    3. you're not feeling full or uncomfortable in between feedings
    4. The baby suddenly wants both breasts instead of being satisfied with just one
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much for the excellent advice. So I take it that once my supply is controlled, I stop doing the block nursing and just nurse on both sides freely when appropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*veddersbetter00 View Post
    Thanks so much for the excellent advice. So I take it that once my supply is controlled, I stop doing the block nursing and just nurse on both sides freely when appropriate?
    Yup. But be prepared to go back to block feeding if necessary. I found that controlling oversupply took tinkering- some days I'd have it right and others I'd still need to block feed. You have to read your baby and her reactions.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"