Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Helping with Gassiness

Default Helping with Gassiness

Hello! Our 5 week old seems like she has painful gassiness, all the time (even when I eat the blandest of foods). In the mean time of determining if this is due to an allergy, I was thinking maybe I should drink some chamomile or mint tea, since those seem to help digestion.

Does anyone have experience with these teas, as an aid to baby's gassiness?

Default Re: Helping with Gassiness

Does your baby ever gulp or choke when your milk lets down? Can you tell us what her stools look like?

A forceful or fast letdown is a common cause of gassiness; it might be worth taking a look at the list of symptoms (the link is to the FAQ about oversupply, but it is possible to have a forceful letdown without actually having too much milk) to see if that could be what's going on.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

with Karen. I would avoid mint tea unless you are sure you have an oversupply issue, since mint is used to reduce supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you, Ladies!

My baby's stool is the usual yellow mustardy/seedy color. Occassionally it is green - but I had just chalked it up to something different I'd eaten. The green is maybe once every few weeks -- her gassiness has been constant.

I read the link provided (THANK YOU!) and noticed that my baby does have several of those symptoms. But I don't ever actually feel the let downs when I nurse ~ I actually feel nothing happening inside my breast during our feedings. So I don't know how to determine if my letdowns are forceful or not.

I tried pumping yesterday for the first time (as I needed to be away from the baby for a few hours) and pumped 3oz for each bottle I expressed. I am not sure if this would indicate an overabundance?!? Also, during the pumping, my milk came in steady, after a couple of minutes of stimulation. (Does this rule out forceful overflow?)

I have started limiting my dairy and noticed that the baby is less gassy. She does have a baby-acne type of rash on her face/arms/chest/etc. still though.

I decided against the mint tea and have just enjoyed a cup of chamomile the past couple of evenings.

I'd love (and greatly appreciate) any feedback you may have. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sirenmom View Post
    So I don't know how to determine if my letdowns are forceful or not.
    The baby's reaction tells you what you need to know. If she is choking, coughing, gagging, spluttering, making a clicking sound, or pulling off the breast during feedings, letdown speed may be a problem for you. In addition, you may see milk streaming or squirting from the breast when baby releases it, and poops that are consistently green.

I tried pumping yesterday for the first time (as I needed to be away from the baby for a few hours) and pumped 3oz for each bottle I expressed. I am not sure if this would indicate an overabundance?!?
    If you were getting 3 oz each time you pumped, that's pretty much in the normal range for supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    Does your baby ever gulp or choke when your milk lets down? Can you tell us what her stools look like?

A forceful or fast letdown is a common cause of gassiness; it might be worth taking a look at the list of symptoms (the link is to the FAQ about oversupply, but it is possible to have a forceful letdown without actually having too much milk) to see if that could be what's going on.
    Wow. Those symptoms fit us to a T (except for the green stool...hers are nice and yellow). I'll try these things and see if it helps...in the meantime, any advice to relieve the gassy pain in my poor little one? She hurts!