Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding is becoming very FRUSTRATING!!!

Default Breastfeeding is becoming very FRUSTRATING!!!

Im strictly pumping because I have an OALD and and overproduction as well. My son chokes at my breast and when I remove him to help him unchoke Im spraying him all over the face all over his clothes all over everything... Its a little annoying to be honest. So I decided I would pump and bottle feed him until he gets a little bigger where he can control the amount better (he is 7 weeks old) I still latch him at the breast, which he has no problem doing but he gets a little upset once my breast gets soft.
    Another issue Im going through is that I usually pump 4x a day and yesterday I forgot my pump (nice) and I was only able to pump 3x, well since then, I woke up this morning with SEVERE soreness in my breasts at the bottom, like kind of under, and they feel sooooooo bruised! What can I do to help this?! I cant even put my son on my shoulder to burp him! They arent full, as I have returned to my 4x a day pumping today.
    Yet another issue, my son has mucus in his stool. He isnt getting too much foremilk as I pump and it all get nicely mixed together so I know it isnt that. I just feel like part of me is giving up even though I dont want to! Im so confused! Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    P.S.- I am also going through this guilt trip because I didnt BF my 1st son so I feel horrible, wish I could go back in time and have found this site!
    Mommy to 2 little boys
    Angel Gabriel 8/14/08 (didn't BF I was confused and thought I didn't have milk)
    Damian Gabriel 10/7/10 (BF and I now know I have an OVERSUPPLY, better more than none, I wish I would've known what I know now with my first)
    and

Default Re: Breastfeeding is becoming very FRUSTRATING!!!

Hey mama! I had over supply too and I KNOW EXACTLY what you mean about the spraying, I used to describe it to my friend like it was a BF horror movie. What helped me was just to be ready for spray with a cloth or towel and when it slowed to relatch baby. Your baby will learn quickly how to keep up. A great many babes end up really enjoying thr fast flow, and mamas too because it makes for quicker on the go feedings . We got to that point around 10-12 weeks. You're over half way there. Until then some great tricks to try are in positioning. It helped us a lot and some postions take away gravity from the crazy spraying so that helps. Alaway have a cloth ready though to catch spray one day you won't need it but until then you def do. Can you do the side laying position? or the australian? I go find some links for you too. Hang tight....

As far as the soreness, it sounds like you may have some clogged ducts which I don't know too much about because I haven't had any bad ones that didn't resolve themselves with more frequent nursing. BUT I will say that putting baby to breast as much as possible will help them for sure. Hopefully some mamas will be along soon with some advice on this.
    Ok off to find you the OS links......
    Last edited by @llli*zplum; November 27th, 2010 at 06:31 PM.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Ok here are some links fr5om kellymom.com. If you haven't been there yet, GO! It's a wonderful resource for BF mamas and answered soooooo many questions for me early on.

Over supply

Here's what it says about block feeding. I did this too and it helped A LOT!

If nursing one side per feeding is not working after a week or so, try keeping baby to one side for a certain period of time before switching sides. This is called block nursing.
    Start with 2-3 hours and increase in half-hour increments if needed.
    Do not restrict nursing at all, but any time that baby needs to nurse simply keep putting baby back to the same side during that time period.
    If the second side becomes uncomfortable, express a little milk until you're more comfortable and then use cool compresses - aim for expressing less milk each time until you are comfortable without expressing milk.
    In more extreme cases, mom may need to experiment a bit with time periods over 4 hours to find the amount of time per breast that works best.
    Here is a really great step by step from Dr. Jack Newman.

Overactive Letdown Reflex

1.Get the best latch possible. This problem is made worse if the baby is not well latched on to the breast. A good latch is the key to easy breastfeeding. No matter what you are told about how good the latch looks, try to improve on it. Think of it this way: if your chin is tucked into your chest while you are trying to drink you would become overwhelmed by the fast flow very easily. If you want to drink quickly you will throw your head back, chin in the air, and be able to handle the fast flow. This is the kind of position baby’s head should be in while breastfeeding—his chin deep into your breast, his head in a slightly tipped-back position, his nose away from your breast, and his chin far from his own chest. This position will help him to handle the faster flow of the let down. See the information sheet When Latching and the video clips.
    If you have not already done so, try feeding the baby one breast per feed. In some situations, feeding even two or three feedings on one breast before changing to the other breast may be helpful. If you experience engorgement on the unused breast, express just enough to feel comfortable. Remember, if the baby wants the second breast, the mother should offer it.
    Feed the baby before he is ravenous. Do not hold off the feeding by giving water (a breastfed baby does not need water even in very hot weather) or a pacifier. A ravenous baby will “attack” the breast and may cause a very active letdown reflex. Feed the baby as soon as he shows any sign of hunger. If he is still half asleep when you put him to the breast, all the better.
    2.Feed the baby in a calm, relaxed atmosphere, if possible. Loud music, bright lights are not conducive to a good feeding. Older babies tend to become very distracted as the flow slows down. Using compressions gently at first, and then more firmly as necessary to keep the speed of flow consistent, will often keep baby interested in staying on the breast longer, because he is drinking better.
    3.Lying down to breastfeed sometimes works very well. If lying sideways to feed does not help, try lying flat, or almost flat, on your back with the baby lying on top of you to breastfeed, or try leaning back in a chair. Gravity helps decrease the flow rate. Remember, the baby may be frustrated at the inconsistent flow, so it may be necessary to lie down at the beginning when the flow is fast, and sit back up as the milk slows. Babies like the lying down position; they tend not to fuss with slower flow but tend to sleep.
    The baby may dislike the rapid flow, but also become fussy when the flow slows too much. If you think the baby is fussy because the flow is too slow, it will help to compress the breast to keep up the flow, see section ‘e’. (See the information sheet Breast Compression).

If all else has not made things better:

On occasion giving the baby commercial lactase (the enzyme that metabolizes lactose), 2-4 drops after each feeding or between breasts if you give both, relieves the symptoms. It is available without prescription, but fairly expensive, and works only occasionally. It is difficult to understand why it would work, since the enzyme is broken down in the baby’s stomach but sometimes it does seem to work.
    A nipple shield may help, but use this only if nothing else has helped and only if you have had access to good help without any change. This is the second-last resort. Please note that a nipple shield is only very rarely the answer to any breastfeeding problem and in most situations it makes the situation worse, not better.
    And here's a link to some videos about postioning and latch.

Good luck to you mama! Don't give up! You CAN do this.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Thank you soooooo much! Sometimes just knowing that you aren't the only one in the entire universe going through this helps (as thats how I feel at times) I don't think I have clogged ducts (had them before and they feel like hard lumps) I have no hardness anywhere on my brests, Im wondering if its just soreness due to not pumping 4x how I normally do. I will get the baby on the breast as that has been what helps with clogged ducts, but he seems to get fussy once the breast gets very soft, he will latch pull off latch pull off and so forth. Ive heard it gets easier, Im just waiting..... LOL
    Mommy to 2 little boys
    Angel Gabriel 8/14/08 (didn't BF I was confused and thought I didn't have milk)
    Damian Gabriel 10/7/10 (BF and I now know I have an OVERSUPPLY, better more than none, I wish I would've known what I know now with my first)
    and

The best thing for clogged ducts is massage the clogged area (which sounds like its underneath your breast while pumping and apply a wet warm compress to the clogged area for five minutes before pumping. The best wet warm compress I have come up with is to wet a washclothe, put it in the microwave for 2 min, and then put it in a plastic baggy, wrap a dry washcloth around the baggy and put it on the clogged area. I have had several issues with clogged ducts because I exclusively pumped for my first daughter because of an illness she had and I have also had one with my three week old second daughter....this seems to work every time.

I can totally empathize with your situation! My son is only 4 weeks old, but I am having the same problems. I found that catching the spray in a towel helps a lot, but it is still messy and doesn't really help with his fussiness. Just this morning, I had like 4 different directions spraying out of me at him - I swear one went over his head and landed about a foot out. I don't have any advice b/c I'm going through the same thing and this is my first...but just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I also notice that even though he's frustrated with my oversupply, he's also frustrated when my breasts aren't as full and the flow isn't as fast. If it's not one thing, it's another! I am so frustrated, but feel too guilty to "give up". Hang in there, everyone keeps telling me we'll see huge changes when he's bigger and can support himself.

Good luck