Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't want to wean, but I can't keep weight on..

Default Re: Don't want to wean, but I can't keep weight on..

I wouldn't stop... heck when not pregnant my normal weight is 112 lbs and Im 5'6. Im normally super thin. Have been my whole life. Im currently pregnant with my third and by the time I am 39 weeks Ill probably be about 160ish.
    Just eat ALOT of fat. Healthy fats. Butter, cheese, whole milk etc, olive oil, steak etc. Make sure you are eating 3 meals a day plus snacks. I wouldn't stop breastfeeding. No way.
    I would try to get more sleep though. If you are getting up at 430 am you should go to bed earlier. Heck I don't get up till 6-7ish and I am usually in bed by 10 at the latest.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

You guys have given me great advice, as usual : )
    I'm just going to have to really plan my snacks and meals, especially for work days. I have already been buying avocados and adding them in when I make tacos, etc. and I love them plain too. I feed diced avocado to Ben all the time and he loves em!

I do realize that I'm not malnourished or anything. But, I want to stop LOSING because, well, jeans don't come smaller than a 0.
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Smoothies

And I just want to support you in your weight chioce. Just because a weight chart says something is an "ideal" weight doesn't mean it is for a particular individual. Some people have "bird bones" others are "solid". You know what is right for you.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I agree with the pl about eating more healthy fats. also it may sound counter intuitive but a little exercise may help too. it seemed to for me. I know the feeling of being "too skinny" as others say. I am 105 on a good day and I am 5'7" but I feel I would rather nurse.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

How about iron supplements for the tiredness (although I know what you REALLY need is more sleep and more rest!)--or eat more beef? My mom is a big believer in the strengthening powers of soup and I must admit, whenever she's around and making some for me, it makes me feel better. She's always nagging me to get a crockpot, throw all your meat and veggies into it, and just let it do all the work. I really should get around to doing this myself.

Also, once DD started eating three square meals, I found myself just eating whatever she was, which inevitably was high-fat, high calories, but also nutritious (plus I was eating all the veggies she was picking out of her food ). I'm kind of scared to know what my cholesterol level is right now, but I don't have that permanently starving feeling I used to have when she was younger.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    Smoothies

And I just want to support you in your weight chioce. Just because a weight chart says something is an "ideal" weight doesn't mean it is for a particular individual. Some people have "bird bones" others are "solid". You know what is right for you.
    I am also 5 foot 0 and a good weight for me is around 115. I was down to 100 at one point in my life and was too thin. Skin and bones. I was emaciated. While 100 maybe the ideal weight there is a pretty big range, I think it goes up to a max of 125. It's really what you are comfortable with.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

mama, you're doing the right thing. I am in exactly the same boat. I started out smaller than you PP, but am the same size now, and am about ten pounds lighter than my PP weight.

One thing that I really don't find helpful is when I worry and people say "oh, i wish i had that problem. oh, must suck to be so skinny, yadayadayada."

And the truth is, what's a healthy weight for one person who's 5'1" is not a healthy weight for another. We are all structurally different - i'm very muscular and I look too skinny when i get around 100. I actually look best when i'm about 115, no matter what any chart says.

And really, it's not about a number, it's about the anxiety it causes that you just can't keep weight on. I get that - because it's not natural to be dropping weight so quickly. It doesn't feel healthy. My Dad told me I looked like i was wasting away and my husband asked me where my butt went.

As much as folks think they'd love to have the problem, it's not awesome because it doesn't feel strong, and it doesn't feel like your'e in control.

Okay, long winded way of saying that for me, it has stabilized since DS started eating more solids. (50 oz of milk is a TON to be producing, and i'm sure that idd have something to do with the rapid weight loss.) How much solids is your LO having? I know yours is older than mine and you're obviously still having the problem but I did notice a definite difference when he started eating more.

And I second what all the other posters have said. Don't eat little debbies. You're a nurse, you should know better!! I found that eating whole fat foods where i generally eat low fat (cottage cheese, milk, yogurt) was a good way to get extra calories in a healthy way. Nuts are fabulous. Trail mix if you feel like you need some sweets. (not saying i never have junk/ice cream/chips, but it's not a good way to increase your weight!)

hugs. I know it's sometimes embarrassing to ask about stuff like this. But I really think that if everything in your checkups seems normal and you're otherwise healthy, then you should keep doing what you're doing and know that it will stabilize when you're nursing a little less.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Sometimes it can be hard to make up for all the calories we burn while breastfeeding. I had the same problem when BFing my first, I was 120 when I got pregnant (im' about 5'2) had my son at 180, and by the time he was 11 months old I was 105 lbs. I was really worried, and doing everything I could do to gain. I think breastfeeding CAN take it's toll, but as long as you are eating enough (and healthy!) taking your vitamins to make up for what you might be losing, and you've consulted your Dr, you're doing all you can! I started adding in smoothies too, full of good fats and oils on top of what I was already eating, that helped I think. I started to put weight back slowly after about 18 months and when he weaned at about 21 months I was back to 115-with DS2, I did not lose weight like this, which maybe is a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

My daughter eats well on BLS, and also when he father spoon-feeds her his all-fruit purées. It's his way of feeling he's feeding her, which is so cute Have you tried BLS? Also offering solids several times a day. My daughter likes to help me eat apples or pears while I'm eating them.

I offer DD frozen avocado cubes + steamed veg cut into matchsticks (thanks DJ's Mom!) and/or fruit + cheese + sips of water from a Doidy cup, which keeps her happy and busy while I cook for us adults.

I too eat junk to keep hunger at bay. I had a chocolate-covered waffle from a vending machine (this is Belgium) for my coffee break. I teach so i'm on my feet a lot, but I also bike to work, which isn't far, but it gets up to 25-30km weekly. I bought trousers last month that are already falling down. But I've hung on to 5kgs above my pre-pregnancy weight!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Don't stop if you arent ready and if the BF relationship is still going strong. You are only 26 and probably still have a high/great metabolism which keeps you trim. I actually have this and have always been very trim and have already lost all of my pregnancy weight. I eat whatever I want and whenever I want and even try to do more to keep my weight up - especially now while breastfeeding (and I drank milkshakes constantly when I was pregnant to get my weight up). If you feel healthy and are meeting or exceeding your calories, and taking vitamins, I wouldnt worry about it.
    I'm guessing that with your busy work schedule that you maybe skip snack/meal times while working? If so, try and take time to eat even when you are super busy.
    Good Luck!
    I'm a proud first time mommy , born 10/19/2010 and a wife to an amazing husband

Birth 10/19/2010: 7lbs 3oz
    3 days old 10/22: 6lbs 6oz
    2 1/2 weeks old 11/05: 6lbs 14oz
    4 weeks old 11/17: 7lbs 15oz
    8 weeks old 12/15: 10lbs
    4 months old 2/28: 14lbs