Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't want to wean, but I can't keep weight on..

Default Don't want to wean, but I can't keep weight on..

My son is 14 1/2 months old.. still nurses frequently thru the day.. I think I am making about 30 ounces maybe a little less. So thats about 500-600 calories that I am burning daily making milk.

I am a busy girl. When I am at work, I am constantly walking, dashing down long hospital hallways, running to save a life etc. I never sit while I am at work.. and I work 13 hour days 3 days a week. When I am at home, I am constantly chasing a busy toddler, cleaning my house, doing laundry.. you get the picture. I have very minimal help at home, so I never have a second to rest. I sleep with my son and he wakes me up twice to nurse every single night at 4 am and 6 am. We don't usually fall asleep til 11 and I wake at 4:30 to get up for work on workdays. Off days I get to sleep til 8 maybe. I am burning the candle at both ends and I know it.. but right now I can't see where I can adjust things/no options for help at this point.

I am 26 years old and have always been healthy. When I was in high school I weighed 105-115. I am about 5 feet even, maybe 5'1. Before I got pregnant I weighed about 140. When I gave birth I had gotten up to about 180.
    I currently weigh 101. So I have lost EIGHTY POUNDS since having Ben.

I went to my doctor several months ago because I had dropped down to about 110 and I was thinking.. is this normal?? I mean, I know I'm breastfeeding but geez. All my labwork came back perfect. She told me if I wanted to stop losing weight I could stop breastfeeding but that was up to me. DH and I discussed it, and I promised him I wouldn't kill myself to breastfeed Ben. We agreed if I hit 102 I would stop. But I can't!! I don't want to!!!

I allowed my milk supply to decrease slowly from 50 to 30 ounces.. thinking that would help.
    I eat more calories, I eat Little Debbies daily lol!
    I am tired of comments from coworkers etc asking me if I am okay, telling me to stop breastfeeding because it's sucking me dry, etc.

I don't know what to do, the thought of giving him cows milk makes me really sad. I know it's so stupid but I feel like a failure for some reason if I stop now.. because I think he still needs me to breastfeed him. And I honestly don't want to stop. I guess I could cut back to night time and naps.. but.. then do I need to supplement with cows milk? And he really doesn't eat enough solids I feel. He's such a milkman : )

The thought of stopping really depresses me.
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Default Re: Don't want to wean, but I can't keep weight on..

Mama, it just sounds to me like breastfeeding probably isn't the issue especially since you are replacing the calories you are burning through BF. Did your doctor do a thorough thyroid test on you or just draw some blood? How much are you excersizing? At 5 ft even, what is the recommended healthy weight? It seems like 102 pounds isn't so extreme when you are only 5 ft?

ETA: I just looked up the ideal healthy weight for someone your height and it was 100 lbs.
    Last edited by @llli*zplum; November 27th, 2010 at 05:44 PM.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

yes, they did a thorough thyroid check. I do not excercise.. But I probably walk 7-10 miles a day as a nurse!

Also, they wanted me to drink Ensure 3-5 times daily which I do. They are wanting me to stop losing.. maintain at least what I have. 100 lb is borderline.
    Kristin

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Ahh then I got nothing. Is it possibly stress related mama?
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

STRESS!!! yes i have lots of that.. Not sure how to change that though
    Kristin

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wreckgoddess View Post
    STRESS!!! yes i have lots of that.. Not sure how to change that though
    Oh I feel you mama. Maybe that's a place to start looking into?
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Your post sounds very much like me after DS was born, similar work schedule, etc... I was losing about 5lbs a month no matter how much I tried to eat. I even ate a big bowl of ice cream most nights before bed . I finally did start supplementing DS with whole milk. The weight loss stopped when he was fully weaned at 17 months. I know this is not what you want to hear. For me, I was more desperate to get my weight to stabilize since we were trying to get pregnant again. If you cut back to nursing for nighttime and naps, he may surprise you and start eating more solid foods. Also, if you feed him fatty foods such as avocado, cheese and yogurt, you may find that you do not need to give him any cows milk.

Hi! Great job juggling work and nursing!

I had skinny issues throughout my pregnancy and once I went with a high protein diet with a MINIMUM of 100g a day I was MUCH healthier.

Junk food is empty and won't make you gain the kind of weight you are looking for. Go with a high protein diet. Eat meat 3 times a day ... eggs, chicken, high protein tofu. Also go for some black beans, rice and some chicken.

I had DH make meals on the weekends and freeze it in rubbermaid containers. That way all i had to do was defrost and eat. Also boil a bunch of eggs and keep them in the fridge to snack on. Up your proportions, too.

I would also eat a cliff bar and drink a big glass of milk if I happened to wake up in the middle of the night. Trader Joe's also makes a delicious chocolate whey protein powder shake ... but you shouldn't just rely on supplements.

Plan your meals and EAT, EAT, EAT!

buy high fat/energy foods like almonds and put a bag of them in your pocket so you can just munch on them through the day, eat an avocado on your sandwhich and put butter and Olive oil in all the things you cook, don't by light or diet anything! The biggest thing I would say is just try to eat at meal times even if it has to be quick, try not to skip!! and even if your LO just got 6-8 ounces of cows milk, then you wouldn't be burning so many calories, he would still be able to nurse!!!
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep

Don't stop. We all wish we had that problem. Shoot. Eat more fat and eat more carbs. Eat avacados. Eat nuts. Eat pasta. Eat cheese.
    Feed your baby. Don't stop doing that. At 5 feet 100 IS THE IDEAL weight. So it's not a bad or a scary place to be. I have seen women who were 5 ft tall that weight 90 and yeah they are TINY but still fine. So I wouldn't worry and I don't think you have to for at least another 5lbs. And I don't think you have to. BUT I think you can stablize it. Cook your food in coconut oil. Eat more. I know you aren't trying to lose weight, but I think you need to focus on eating more and more often. Those 13hour shifts sound like the prefect time to neglect eating right. Don't do it. Pack an avacado every day. Eat tons of fruit. YOu can gain two pounds. I know you can!

Way too lazy for formula