Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: borderline Mastistis -- help

Default borderline Mastistis -- help

hello dd, 3 weeks old, she is sleeping 3/4 hours. had overproduction of milk, did the block feeding and also pumped to ease the pain. Now another hurdle, was in so much pain stinging pain on both breasts all the time, went to see the dr-- who said i was on teh borderline of getting mastistis -- recommended the usual after calling a lactation speciaslt who recommended the warm compress, which does not work too good for me. the pain became unbearable and called the doctor who has me on antibiotics, i am still in pain and need advice on how to proceed. I am pumping now after dd feeds to try and empty the breasts to see if that will help.
    if i store the milk for later, will it be okay for dd.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated, i am thinking of giving up breasfeeding --

Thank you in advance

Default Re: borderline Mastistis -- help

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mwanamke View Post
    hello dd, 3 weeks old, she is sleeping 3/4 hours. had overproduction of milk, did the block feeding and also pumped to ease the pain. Now another hurdle, was in so much pain stinging pain on both breasts all the time, went to see the dr-- who said i was on teh borderline of getting mastistis -- recommended the usual after calling a lactation speciaslt who recommended the warm compress, which does not work too good for me. the pain became unbearable and called the doctor who has me on antibiotics, i am still in pain and need advice on how to proceed. I am pumping now after dd feeds to try and empty the breasts to see if that will help.
    if i store the milk for later, will it be okay for dd.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated, i am thinking of giving up breasfeeding --

Thank you in advance
    Honestly, giving up now will just make things worse on your body. Three weeks is still so young. You owe it to your baby to work through this and you CAN do it. The first few weeks can be so rough sometimes, but it is so worth it to stick it out.

I'm sorry to hear that you are in pain. Have you been checked for thrush?
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

are your nipples cracked or bleeding?

Don't give up mama! Giving up now will not only make things worse for your engorgement but it's very very likely that down the road you will regret it mama. So many mamas do. Your baby needs your milk and your body is just trying to figure out how much to make. Most supplies don't regulate until about 6-8 weeks.

As far as how to proceed, put baby to breast as much as you possibly can, even if it's painful. I have had mastitis and I know it hurts but it will go away, esp if you are on antibiotics. It should only take a day or two to get some pain relief. If the pain DOES NOT go away, I would be concerned about thrush which the antibiotics will make worse and contact your doctor againt o be re evaluated. You can find a lot of hgreat info on treating thrush at home from Dr. Jack newman's site. I'll go dig up the link for you.

To answer your other question, YES your milk is still good when you have mastitis. Don't dump it! I think there are some guidlines to foloow though if you have thrush. I'll go and try and find the links to that too.

Hang in there mama! You can do this. It won't always be this hard, I swear!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Ok, here is the info from Dr. Jack on Mastitis and BF and thrush treatment

and another about thrush and milk storage from Kellymom.com (another great site with TONS of information)

Good luck mama! Don't give up. You can do this!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

thank you all -- i do not want to give up, cause i know how important breastfeeding is for both DD and myself. Had a bad day last night, one breast the pain was unbearable, i had the chilles/freezing and in so much pain to the point i took 2 painkillers. I have checked for thrush and DD does not have white spots in her mouth. i am also eating yogurt since i read it helps with thrush especially when taking the antibiotics. I have called the doctor to see what i can do, cause the pain is unbearable and i am on day 3 of the antibiotics.

i will look at the links and also keep hearing your support as i battle this roadblock.

To all thank you -- will keep you posted.

taking the pain killers is ok if you need them...

mastistis can be very painful!

hi,so got an ultrasound cause the doctor thought i had an abcess, which turned out not to be the case. Currently the pain is minimal.
    just found out that dd has thrush so we are now on nystatin, i hope this is the end of all my breastfeeding woes.

To all the mamas' thanks for the words on encouragement and advise.
    and to all the mamas' who are having any problems/frustration etc etc please hung in their.

Thank you