Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your toddler get 1000 calories a day?

Default Does your toddler get 1000 calories a day?

Ds is 13 and 1/2 months old. I read that toddlers need about 40 calories per inch of food in a day... so at 28-29ish inches ds would need a little over 1000 calories a day. He is still breastfed but barely- He nurses about 4 times a day but I am down to drops of milk if that as I am 22 weeks pregnant.

If he needs 1000 calories a day... 3 meals- 200-250 calories per meal and maybe 100-150 calories per snack? That just seems really high. He eats 3 meals and probably 3 snacks a day. He is a pretty good eater - slightly picky but not too bad. But he doesn't eat alot in any one sitting.

He is very small but has been for a LONG time- my dd was too. We make tiny petite kids. He was under 18 lbs at a year and 28 inches long. He is 1% for weight and 5% for height and 69% for head. ) Doc said we could check thyroid and growth hormone but she wasn't that worried and I am not either. I wish he was a bit bigger and grew a bit faster...He still wears alot of 6-12 months clothes/ 9 month pants etc. He poops every day. Pees plenty. His eyes are bright, skin is clear. His hair and nails need trimming often.

Developmentally I have no questions he is right on track or ahead . He walked 2 days after he turned 1. He has 10+ words. He is happy and lovable and sleeps 11-12 hours at night and 1-2 hours of napping of day.

So why am I worried? 1000 seems like ALOT of calories for him to take in. He doesn't drink milk unless its in something or in a bowl with cereal.

He just finished lunch so far today he has had

BF- Maybe 1-2 tablespoons of milk ( whole milk -sometimes raw milk) and 2 tablespoons of organic brown rice cereal. 1/2 yo baby yogurt ( the full container is 100 calories I think)

snack- 3 pretzels and 4-5 spoonfuls of applesauce with a drizzling of flax seed oil

Lunch- A few bites of shredded cheddar cheese, a few bites of lefotver roast chicken ( with olive oil), and a few bites of leftover Olive Garden Fetticuini Alredro. He refused applesauce/ pomegrante seeds.

He will def have another snack consisiting of fruit/ carb combo

and dinner ( chicken marsala, green beans and probably ww pasta with shredded cheese and butter) and possibly a bedtime snack.

He has nursed twice so far.. with another 2 times at least ahead but again I think I am pretty much down to drops of milk so I have no idea how many if any calories he gets from nursing.

What about your toddler? How much food does he/she eat??

Its obvious us mama's worry alot about what our toddlers eat, how much they eat, how much they nurse, how many calories they eat etc. I guess I am no different.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Default Re: Does your toddler get 1000 calories a day?

DS is almost 3 now and he is just barely getting 1000cal/day. When he was your son's age I read the same information about the daily recommendations. I was worried as well. DS has always been small (5th to 8th percentile) so I used to keep a mental tally going on his intake. He certainly averaged much less than 1000cal/day over the course of a week. He is physically active, healthy, smart and ahead of the curve on most milestones so I eventually learned to relax and quit worrying. It sounds like your son eats a variety of healthy foods and is doing just fine. IMHO some kids just have different metabolisms and need less than others.

yup as long as their poops are "nice" and they are having lots of wets..

try and relax a little bit.

sounds like your doing great.

I don't count my dd's calories but if she is energetic and happy (or just normal mood including fussy times of course) I figure she's getting enough. She asks for food when she wants it (says yummy or signs food) and I offer her meals and snacks every day. I have no idea how much milk she's getting a day but I guess I'm tired of worrying about it. I worried so much when she was little now I think it's time to just let her eat the amount she wants and not stress if it's low one day and high another.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

OMG DD is supposed to have 1050 a day and i have to keep detailed calorie count and all cause docs say she is tiny, underweight for her age since 12 months. I think that 1050 is a lot too, I have a hard time getting that much into her!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

I have two toddlers - the big one (2.5yo) seems to survive by eating once a week. The little one (a very small 14mo) eats at least twice what the big one does, and nurses at least 6 times a day. I am going to link some threads on getting calories into toddlers.

Here is the biggy - 40 grams of fat
    Last edited by @llli*durhamgrrl; November 27th, 2010 at 06:42 PM.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I let my DD lead, if she is hungry I offer more food, sometimes she doesn't eat very much at all. I always offer healthy food and hope she eats her fill!!
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    I have two toddlers - the big one (2.5yo) seems to survive by eating once a week. The little one (a very small 14mo) eats at least twice what the big one does, and nurses at least 6 times a day. I am going to link some threads on getting calories into toddlers.

Here is the biggy - 40 grams of fat
    wow... I gotta read through that thread is so full of info!
    Somedays he does eat more than my 3 1/2 year old.
    I think my major concern is that DD was still like 75% breastfed at this point so I didn't have to worry about it really as I knew my milk was filling in the gaps wheras with ds I don't know how many calories if any he gets from breastmilk and because he is so tiny... I worry that he is growing fast enough... plus is very active... so he probably burns off everything he eats...

Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    My Daily Blog

Okay... so reading through that thread.. and checking some of the high fat food ds eats. There is no way he gets 40 grams a day.
    Breastmilk has 11 grams per 8 oz... There is no way he is getting more than an oz or so if that... so maybe 1-3 grams ( at most from breastmilk)
    Whole milk has 8 grams per cup ( He probably has 1/2 cup at most with his 2 bowls of cereal a day ( the days he eats it) so maybe 4 grams there.
    Cheese stick has 4 grams- He probably eats one of those a day so another 4
    A whole yo baby yogurt has 4 grams and he maybe eats 1/2 one a day so there is 2 grams.
    Shredded cheese (cheedar) He usually has this on top of whatever we eat for dinner and also for lunch. 9 grams per 1/4. He probably gets that so 9 grams there.
    Butter is 11 grams per tablespoon and flax and olive oil is 14 grams per tablespoon. His dinner usually has either olive oil or butter or applesauce with flax ( maybe half a tablespoon) so 5-7 grams there.
    Sometimes he has sausage for breakfast or beef for dinner small portions though so maybe another 5-10 grams there?? ( might be on the high side)
    So Im guessing his total is closer to 30 grams on a good day.

My Daily Blog

So, I never actually worked it out for DS (I don't think he got enough though) and we were in the same situation you are.

Have you thought about eggs and nuts (I see no peanuts from your siggy, but treenuts maybe)?
    Granola type cereals have fat in them.
    Is he not a meat eater, or are you just not yet offering much? I have quasi-carnivorous children so it isn't an issue for me there.

The other thought is smoothies - vitamins and fat. I am about to start these for the big one so glad you asked - it made me search
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.