Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pediatrician told me to supplement

Default Pediatrician told me to supplement

This happened to me on 9/29/06.

My baby was born on 8.20.06 and she weighed 7lbs 15oz and was down to 7lbs80z when she was discharged from the hospital. She saw the pediatrician for her first visit on the 22nd and was at 7lbs 8oz. When I brought her back on 9/29/06 for her 1 month check up she weighed 10lbs 6oz and I thought she was doing great! However the pediatrician said that she wanted to see her gain more weight and that I needed to start supplementing more. At the time I was giving DD one bottle of formula per day because I didn't know any better and I thought she wasn't getting enough. Well when I came home I started to do some research and I realized that I had messed up my supply by supplementing in the first place. I started to pump more frequently and use fenugreek and in about a week I didn't need to supplement at all anymore. DD is putting out plenty of wet diapers a day but she usually only poops every 2 to 3 days and has always been like this since day one. The thing is that usually on day 2 she is straining to make a poop so I know there is some in there, it just seems like she has a hard time getting it out. When it does come though it is a normal mustard yellow color and it is liquidy and seedy.

Now I am nervous because we have an appointment for tomorrow and I know DD has gained beause she is almost out of her stage 1 pampers (which go up to 14lbs) and many of 3month outfits no longer fit. My thing is how much weight do they expect these babies to gain? Isn't almost three pounds in one month a good amount of weight? I really don't want to supplement DD with formula and I am very happy that I have managed to get her off of it. I even have enough milk to pump an extra bottle a day and if she seems hungry at night I will offer it to her. This doctor is makes me feel less confidant about my ability to feed my baby. As I am typing this I realize that it is time to find a new one. Why are some pediatricians so non-supportive of breastfeeding?
    Last edited by Diva_E; October 18th, 2006 at 08:18 PM.

Default Re: Pediatrician told me to supplement

I think you should go with your gut here. It sounds like your baby is doing just fine! Maybe you will want to shop around for a pedi who is more in touch with breastfeeding practices.
    Good luck!

You also know what you can do??? If doctor says supplement...say, Ok, we will. Walk out of there and dont if your baby is getting enough. If she's wetting and pooping enough, outgrowing clothes and diapers, and is happy.... dont do it! Go ahead and tell the &^()*&) doctor what he wants to hear, and YOU do what is best for your baby!

Doctors annoy me a lot.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

The answer to your question is that the growth charts are provided by the fomula companies and alot of the BFing info is optional in a Pedi's education. So alot of Pedi's just are simply uneducated. You sound like your doing great. You will find as your child gets older, your confidence as a mother will grow and you will see, you don't have to do anything they tell you. It's advice. They tried to tell me not to co-sleep. I said point blank "I don't care what you say I'm doing what feels right to me as a mother and being able to feel my child breathe...right now that feels really important to me." They backed off. But you sound clear...I think a new Pedi is the answer

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

According to the growth chart I found online (and it's a ff one, not the bf one) your baby was at 50% at her discharge weight and 80% at one month. And that's not a big enough gain?? Not sure what the doctor is looking for....

Myself, I would definitely get a 2nd opinion and likely ditch the current pedi. Doesn't sound very breastfeeding friendly.

I also just wanted to add that my dd lost 8 ounces in the hospital and a couple more the first day home, but my pedi never told me to supplement. He said to give it one week when my milk came in adn he weighed her again. She gained a pound and 4 ounces! Hang in there!

I had a similar situation with my DD but at my one week visit my ped told me to bring her back in another week to see if she had gained. At that point if she had lost more weight I would have to supplement. Thankfully I didn't have to. At one month she was around 10 pounds, she weighed 7lb 2oz at birth. That was the 50th percentile. I really think your doctor is alarmist and you might want to find someone else. Or you can stay with your doc and just make up your own mind about his/her recommendations. It sounds like you are already doing that and doing an awesome job, so keep it up!

Here is some info from the The Breastfeeding Answer Book (LLL source) about weight gain in BF babies: "Average weight gain for the first three to four months is about six ounces per week, although it is considered acceptable for some babies to gain four or five ounces per week. Weight gain should always be figured from the lowest point rather than from birth weight...The very rapid growth a baby experiences during the first three months typically slows down during months four to twelve. According to recent research...an average weight gain for a breastfeeding baby four to six months is about four to five ounces per week. An average weight gain for a breastfeeding baby six to twelve months is two to four ounces per week...The average breastfed baby doubles his birth weight by five to six months. At one year, the typical breastfed baby weighs about 2 1/2 times his birth weight, has increased his birth length by 50 percent, and his head circumference by 33 percent."

By my calculations, your baby gained over 8 ounces per week between the 1st and second appointments! I'm not sure what your doctor was expecting to see???? Regardless, it sounds like your baby is healthy and happy and doing very well! Good for you for doing your research and working so hard to provide the best for her. If you are not comfortable with her current ped., try to find another one.

Thank you all for your support! It really does make me feel better to hear from other bf mom's because I don't get a lot of support for bf at all. Most of the women I know ff and they just don't think bf is very important.

Update: My baby is now weighing 12lbs 4 oz!

The pediatrican asked me if I was still supplementing her with the same brand of formula and I told her that I wasn't giving her formula anymore. I was giving my baby a bottle of EBM which I had brought along and she asked me what was in the bottle and I told her it was BM. I said I have more than enough and I don't need to give her any formula. She was like: Your STILL breastfeeding? I was like Uh yes I am she is only 2 months old and I want to bf for at a minimum 6 months. I guess it's because so many women where I live don't bf she isn't used to it or something. Anyway my DH and I have decided to start looking for another pediatrician who is more supportive of bf and we have started looking already.