Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Sensitive to Orange Juice

Default Baby Sensitive to Orange Juice

If my baby's tummy is sensitive to OJ will she be sensitive to citric acid??? Citric acid is in EVERYTHING!!!!

Default Re: Baby Sensitive to Orange Juice

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*erlove87 View Post
    If my baby's tummy is sensitive to OJ will she be sensitive to citric acid??? Citric acid is in EVERYTHING!!!!
    How old is your baby? Oranges are very acidic. Young children often have trouble with them. But it's usually something they will outgrow.

ETA: I read from your post from yesterday that your baby is three weeks old. (Assuming we are talking about the same baby and you don't have multiple children but this is the newborn section, so just in case we are talking about a 3 week old...)
    It is really not a good idea to be giving such a young baby orange juice. At this age, your baby should be having nothing more than breastmilk. Even water is not recommended before the age of 6 months. Orange juice or any juice can be really really harsh on a digestive system that is not fully developed. And water can throw off a baby's electrolytes. All your baby needs right now is breastmilk. There are a lot of people here who can help you if you feel she's not getting enough. If you feel you absolutely must give something other than breastmilk then consider formula. Juice is really not a good idea.

This link pertains to solids before 6 months but it also talks about juice. Kellymom is a great site for browsing around.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html
    Last edited by @llli*babylove; November 27th, 2010 at 01:54 PM.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Oops you've misunderstood my post...my three week old is sensitive to the OJ I had been drinking I totally realize she is not to have anything other than breastmilk right now.

I had to stop drinking orange juice and eating oranges for a while when my lo was small. He would get an upset tummy and a diaper rash

I was able to reintroduce it back into my diet when he was about 7-8 months old

and just because he is showing a reaction to orange juice doesn't mean you have to stay away from all citric acid, but maybe stay away from oranges, lemons, and limes as these are the highest
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

Have you possibly tried the orange juice with lower acid? That's what I drink due to reflux and its much less irritating. Even Charlotte (my 3 year old) can handle it and she's never been able to tolerate orange juice because it gives her bad diaper rashes.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*erlove87 View Post
    Oops you've misunderstood my post...my three week old is sensitive to the OJ I had been drinking I totally realize she is not to have anything other than breastmilk right now.
    Ahh! That makes much more sense.
    When it comes to what your baby reacts to through your milk it's very different person to person. I would think citric acid in things would be fine, but you would have to test it out and see.

Refluxy babies can be difficult. My DD used to react bad when I'd eat spicey foods. But then at the same time she has a severe dairy allergy and we saw no signs of it affecting her through my milk until after she weaned.
    Amanda

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

I think my daughter also has an allergy to dairy, but I am not yet sure can you tell me how your daughter reacted when you ate dairy?? Also, how did you get the right amount of calcium and protein?

well that's just it. She didn't have any of the typical allergy signs. We only knew she was allergic to day later after having given her dairy directly.

Looking back I *think* that dairy in my breast milk is what was causing the excema patches on her skin, the waking every 1-2hrs at night (at 9-11 months old), the smelly gas, excess spit up, and the greenish poops. While we were nursing everyone told me all babies spit up. Some babies have smelly gas. Sometimes poop looks different (and her poop was not mucousy or bloody or anything. just not the yellow color that EBF usually is). I thought she was waking so often at night because we co-slept and she was "spoiled" by the open bar all night. So I night weaned her at 11 months. Within a week she completely weaned herself. She would refuse my breast entirely. Would drink expressed milk reluctantly. Her excema cleared up. And she started sleeping 10-12 hr nights. So I think dairy was affecting her.. but at the same time most of the symptoms could be explained by other things. And they only make me think dairy looking back.

If she touches dairy (milk, yogurt, butter, whey powder etc) she breaks out in hives instantly. If she injests dairy (including modified milk ingredients) she vomits profusely, and once had a wheezing episode along with the vomiting. Butu none of these things happened through my breastmilk. She's tested positive for dairy via a SPT. But since the official diagnosis came after she weaned I personally never went dairy free entirely (though my dairy intake decreased because we just don't keep much in the house).
    She drank hemp milk for a while and now drinks soy milk. She also takes a calcium/vit D supplement.
    Amanda