I posted a similar thread in the newborn section, but figured I'd try here too.

My son is 4 weeks old, he's my first, and I definitely have an oversupply. I wasn't sure, but when I met with another LC the other day she confirmed my suspicions. He's had green stools the last 2 weeks, he sputters & chokes, frantically searches for my breast, then pulls off crying and angry...he only nurses for 3-7 minutes on one breast during a feeding and it takes about an hour to get that result, and then grunts and groans through his sleep until the next feeding - usually only an hour after we finish. I know he is getting what he needs because he has steadily gained 2 pounds over the last month, but I'm worried about our breastfeeding relationship and if it will ever get easier.

I pumped for 24 hours the other day due to mastitis and broken down nipples (we finally corrected his latch...) and noticed that even after pumping 3-4 ounces from one breast, it is still a very pale, white milk...and after being in the refrigerator for several hours, I can barely tell where the hindmilk and foremilk have separated. When I compare the color & consistency to the milk I have frozen from engorgement, it's not even close to as creamy and thick. Is this normal? Is there such a thing as having no real hindmilk?

Although I realize my son is getting the nutrition he needs due to his weight gain, I'm worried about his love-hate relationship with my breasts and I'm worried that breastfeeding will never come easy to us. From the time he makes "food faces" at me to the time I finally finish burping him and he settles down, it's anywhere from 45 minutes to 90 minutes because of his fussiness and gassiness during feeding.

I've been feeding him on one side only for several feedings in a row in an attempt to get to the hindmilk (if it's even there!) and reduce my supply, and when I switch sides I pump for a minute just to get past my first let down.

Any input would be great - I'm sort of at a loss of what I should be doing.