Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best care for sore, cracked nipples?

Default Best care for sore, cracked nipples?

Hello - what did you find to be the best care for healing sore, cracked and bleeding nipples? For the past few days, I've been expressing some breastmilk to rub on after feedings and letting dry for a minute then applying Lansinoh and covering with a nursing pad. The first few days I was using a soothie gel pad instead of Lansinoh but didnt' like them.

Some background - my LO is 7 days old. She has a very strong suck and I don't think I was getting a good latch in the hospital, so we have been working to improve it. Two days ago my nipples were at their worse and bleeding. I've talked to a home nurse, daughter's pedi and a LLL leader via email (waiting to talk via phone).

While my nipples seem to be improving a bit, they still aren't healing completly. I know a bad latch will hurt them and we are working on it - it's gotten MUCH better and I have a lot less pain. I'm just wondering if there is something else I can be doing to heal.

Would pumping make sore nipples worse? I've been pumping if LO doesn't nurse on both sides or to help with engorgement.

I'd love to hear how you guys healed or any other tips/tricks!
    Thanks!

Default Re: Best care for sore, cracked nipples?

I did the same thing you did - let the breastmilk dry on them first, then glob on the lanolin (like a crazy amount), and only use the Lansinoh brand nursing pads which dont pull all the scabs like another brand did on mine. I also tried the gel pads but wasnt a fan. Something else I did that really helped was I would take a nursing pad and wet it, then put it in the freezer. I'd put the cold pads on my breasts after a feeding and it really help with the pain. I also exposed my breast to air as much as possible (walked around like Madonna with my breast through my nursing bra all day! ha!)- this may only help though if its humid - I live in Florida. My nipples bled and cracked off and on for about 3 weeks then finally stopped. It does get way better, trust me. Once she was 3-4 weeks her latch finally got way better which made the trauma on the nipples stop - her mouth also got bigger which helped the latch. I would also take Tylenol every once in a while if it was really bad - especially about 20 mins before a feeding.

Keep up the great work!
    I'm a proud first time mommy , born 10/19/2010 and a wife to an amazing husband

Birth 10/19/2010: 7lbs 3oz
    3 days old 10/22: 6lbs 6oz
    2 1/2 weeks old 11/05: 6lbs 14oz
    4 weeks old 11/17: 7lbs 15oz
    8 weeks old 12/15: 10lbs
    4 months old 2/28: 14lbs

I definitely can empathize with you on this one. My son is 4 weeks old and I've had severe nipple breakdown twice due to problems with latching on. I met with a LC and she immediately called my midwife and had her prescribe a special ointment for me.

She called it "APNO cream" and it stands for "All Purpose Nipple Ointment". It seriously is like a miracle cream. Within a few hours, my nipples started closing up and the bleeding stopped, and my nipples were healed within 24 hours. It's a combination of 4 different topical ointments - and my pharmacy wouldn't compound them for me, so I had to do it at home myself in a container...but if I remember correctly it's an anti-yeast cream, a steroid cream, an anti-bacterial and a neosporin-like cream...and it's totally safe for baby too, so there's no need to wipe it off before a feeding.

Good luck!

Hi, I too swear by the APNO. You can find more information about it on Jack Newmans website: http://www.drjacknewman.com/
    or more specifically try:
    http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...id=5&Itemid=17.
    Not all pharmacies carry the ingredients but I have used it both times during the initial breastfeeding days and it made a tremendous improvement quickly.
    Also cold cabbage leaves really are amazing. Be aware that it is said that if you use the cabbage leaves not to do so for too many days as it could reduce your milk supply. Also if your nipples are cracked, place the leaves around the nipple but not over them.