Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to determine how much milk needed per day?

Default How to determine how much milk needed per day?

Ok, so I'm returning to work in little more than a week after a 6 week maternity leave. With my other 3 kiddos I was a stay at home mom, so I didn't have to concern myself with this, but this time, I will need to leave my LO with a caregiver. I have started pumping--trying to get about a 4 oz. bottle in the freezer each day to start my stash. But as far as how much milk I should leave with the caregiver...I have no idea! After he's been there a few days, I'm sure we'll get an idea of how much he consumes, but since you can't really measure his intake when bfing, I don't know how to even come up with a ball-park estimate. I've also read other posts where other LOs don't take much from the caregiver during the day, but make up for it by nursing a lot when mom gets home. That's fine, too, but I don't know yet how my LO will do with the caregiver. I guess it doesn't hurt to leave plenty with her (my caregiver)--she said I can either bring milk daily for my LO, or leave a bunch for her to keep in her freezer for her to use...

Thoughts, anyone? And thanks in advance for anyone who takes time to answer!

Default Re: How to determine how much milk needed per day?

The general rule is 1 to 1.5 ounces per hour you will be apart. For very young babies it's best to leave several small bottles, maybe 1 to 2 ounces each. That way you know your milk won't be getting wasted from bottles that are too large and it also helps prevent overfeeding because it sort of forces the caregiver to give baby a break every few ounces.

Here is a great resource for determining how much milk you will need. And here's another great article you might want to share with your caregiver about how to bottlefeed the breastfed baby.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: How to determine how much milk needed per day?

Thanks for the great links! I'll use them!