Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: low supply/ period returned

Default low supply/ period returned

Any advice for dealing with low supply I think is due to my returning menstrual cycle?

I have a 5 month old who has been a great eater and sleeper since birth. She started sleeping through the night at 2 1/2 months and usually has 5 feedings a day- nurse at 7am, bottles while at work (10:30ish and 2:30ish- 5 or 6 ounces) then nurse at 5 and again around 7 before bed at 7:30. Still sleeping throug the night, but a little more impatient during feedings with me.

My period returned in late October and then I believe I ovulated around day 20 (late ovulation). Now I'm currently waiting for my period to start. I've heard that your supply can drop between ovulation and the start of your next period. I've tried pumping double my usual at work, taking 12 pills of fenugreek a day and of course on the weekend, nursing more often. I am only pumping around 6 ounces at work and maybe another 2 around 10pm before bed. I'm happy I have a stash in the freezeer to help out with the needed 10-12 ounces I need for bottles when at work.

Any other thoughts or do I just have to wait it out? Never thought I'd be so happy to get my period again. Also, can I take more than 12 fenugreek pills?- I haven't started to smell like maple syrup yet. Any tried calcium/ magnesium supplements and how much/ how often?
    Thanks for any and all help!
    Last edited by @llli*md-momof2; November 26th, 2010 at 01:26 PM.
    Mom to son (2/4/08), to daughter (6/28/10) and currently and at work
    Wife to husband (Oct.06)

Default Re: low supply/ period returned

bumping as I am in exact same boat as you!
    Mom to Gabriel Christian
    Born June 21, 2010 at 4:25 pm
    8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/2 inches long

I'm chiming in since no one else has, even though I don't really have a lot to offer. One suggestion and one question:

- Would you have time to pump on the weekends? I assume you have a M-F type job. If you pumped after your morning nursing session on both days, that would probably be your most productive time anyway, and those bottles you wouldn't need until Monday.
    - Did your supply bounce back after your period in October?

One more suggestion: pee on a stick. I had two periods while BFing my son, starting around 6 mos. He was a minimal nurser like you seem to have; slept through the night off/on starting around 4 mos, for good after about 5 mos. After that second period, I had another steep drop-off in my supply, which I thought meant Aunt Flo was coming again. Turns out I was actually preggers

I would take your question to the "Increase your supply" subforum, as those ladies probably have more specific answers to your fenugreek/calcium et al supplement questions.

Good luck!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thanks Jeno!
    Okay, so not preggers, got my period last week. I just wish I could pump enough for 2 bottles- 10 ounces. Right now, with 3 pumps at work and one before bed, I am only getting 7/8 ounces. I have to dip into my freezer stash more often than I like. It just makes me crazy that I started back to work in October and everything was going great and then I am pumping 3/4 ounces less a day within 4 weeks of being back.
    Should I try the whole fenugreek thing again- up it to 15 pills a day???
    Thanks again for any and all suggestions!
    -M
    Wife to husband (Oct.06)

have you thought about putting less in the bottles?
    is there much waste?

No, no waste! Both bottles are around 5 ounces. The first one at 10:30/ 11am is also used some to mix with rice I started 2 weeks ago. 2nd bottle is around 2:30/ 3pm. I thought about reducing them, but I'm told she already seems mad when she is done. She quickly finds her thumb and is soothed. I don't feed her until 6 myself, so I guess I could make the second bottle less and feed her closer to 4:30 when I get home, but I don't want her even more mad with just a 3 or 4 ounce bottle when she wakes from her afternoon nap. I just added another pump in at 8:30 when I get to work- so 5 pumps total. I was also going to try fenugreek again and increase to 15 pills a day. I just need 3 more ounces to cover each day- not much to ask for, right!
    Thanks again to all!
    -M
    Wife to husband (Oct.06)

Good luck. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Don't forget to just plain eat and drink - I know how busy I get @ work and tend to neglect myself.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

fenugreek worked for me - if it's a decrease in supply due to your period, it usually returns within a day or two after bleeding starts. I would think you'd have noticed an increase in supply again.

Lots of ladies here also swear by oatmeal. I can't eat it without gagging, so I don't have experience with it.

I got my period very early after baby was born too. One thing that really helped my supply was to nurse at night -- when baby starts sttn, that's when supply usually takes a big hit. If you don't want to nurse at night, Iwould say you should pump at least once a night - eight hours is a long time to go without expressing any milk or nursing, and will have a defnite impact on the amount your produce. Sounds crazy when you're getting such good sleep, but even if it's just ten minutes at 2am, it will help.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it