Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: short nipples; large breasts

Default short nipples; large breasts

After two and half months I've come to realization that my girl and I have difficulty latching on to my right breast. My nipple is shorter on this side - which often results in her biting when trying to latch on.

Any other short nipples out there? Any tips?

We also have trouble nursing in public due to my large breasts (F cup).
    I have always needed to hold my breast for her. We can nurse at home pretty well with a Boppy or other pillows, but nursing in public has been hard when trying to juggle 1) Using both hands due to my breast size 2) her weight since she is pretty heavy 3) latching on to my short nipple

Any tips for large breasted women feeding in public?
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

Default Re: short nipples; large breasts

bump

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wilsonduo97 View Post
    After two and half months I've come to realization that my girl and I have difficulty latching on to my right breast. My nipple is shorter on this side - which often results in her biting when trying to latch on.

We also have trouble nursing in public due to my large breasts (F cup).
    I have always needed to hold my breast for her. We can nurse at home pretty well with a Boppy or other pillows, but nursing in public has been hard when trying to juggle 1) Using both hands due to my breast size 2) her weight since she is pretty heavy 3) latching on to my short nipple

TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

Thanks for bumping- the holiday weekend means that a lot of posts didn't get the attention they deserve!

1. Give it time. Bigger baby = bigger mouth = deeper latch
    2. Search this forum/google "breast sandwich" or "nipple sandwich"- it's a technique that can help a baby get a deeper latch
    3. Nipple shield- I wouldn't use this unless you're desperate:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html

1. Well-stuffed diaper bag can double as a nursing pillow, so put extra blankets in yours
    2. Give it time- a bigger baby can latch on w/ less assistance
    3. Invest in some nursing shirts or a nursing cover (I'd definitely get the shirts!)
    4. Practice in front of a mirror to get a sense of what you're really exposing
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I can't offer anything in terms of nursing in public...I've never been able to do it, and I have average sized breasts, so best of luck to you! Little stinker is so heavy now, and I never was able to support his weight the right way without a nursing pillow anyway.

I do have really short nips though (amazing to look at them now actually sticking out on their own sometimes because b4 baby came they were flat). I have to say, even after almost 7 months of nursing we still have painful sessions where I know at the beginning during let-down and at the end when he's just munching he is chomping right on my nipple, not the areola. I strive for a deep latch every time, but the older he gets the more stubborn! One side is worse for me too, espcially lately, but I think his latch may be changing due to teething.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there...this site helped me pump station - deep latch. When I can get my son to wait a second and open wide, I really try to pry his mouth open with my breast and force him to keep his mouth wide. That seems to help us, but like I said he is more stubborn as he grows.
    mom to Thomas Brocke - born May 5, 2010
    7 lbs 10 oz, 21 inches long
    8 lbs 3 oz at two weeks
    12 pounds, 24 1/2 inches at 2 months
    15 pounds at 4 months, 26 3/4 inches - he's gonna be a tall one!
    17 pounds at 6 months

Took us almost 10 weeks, but we successfully weaned from the nipple shield. Boobie au naturale!
    and at home and like a machine at work!